Classifieds: Wanted
Downloads
Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Racquet Stringing

Old 2003-04-28, 22:11   #1
Frank

Default Main and Cross with diff. Tension, is there advantage?

for example, with most racket, MxC: 16x19, because there are more cross strings already, is there any advantage or even necessay to string cross 3-5lbs tigher to balance the tension on the frame? or do other wise to string the main a few lbs more, because there are less string for main?
Any reply is apprieciated.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-04, 07:26   #2
kmmatney

Default Re: Main and Cross with diff. Tension, is there advantage?

I've noticed that the raquet feels "better" when I string the crosses 2-3 lbs lower tension than the Mains. My main racquet is 16 x 19, and I usually string 61 lbs on the mains, and 59 on the crosses. The fact that there are more crosses and they are shorter means that stringing them at a little lower tension should "balance' the stringbed a bit more. It seems to feel better to me...
kmmatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-04, 07:31   #3
kmmatney

I have another question. I'm curently using Babolat Ballistic Polymono 16 string (my first try at polyester - I really like it so far!). I'd like to try out using a 17g string on the crosses. From what I've read from this site, you want to string thinner strings at higher tension. I guess that would mean you would string the 17g crosses at about the same tension as the 16g mains string. Isn't that right?...
kmmatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-01, 10:38   #4
ssanders

I believe the problem is that the mains are longer than the crosses. When you string your racket at a certain tension, this is not the tension that eventually be on your strings. All strings lose a little tension and the more string there is, the more tension can be lost (imagine that every inch of string has an equal amount of tension loss). So therefore, if you want an equal tension you should string the crosses at lower tensions.
But,... I recently measured my stringtension and found out that the tension on the crosses is much lower than on the mains. I figure that it is harder to completely pull the string when it is weaven (the drop weight is fully horizontal, but only the part closest to it has the right tension).
Anyhow: pulling the crosses harder gives me a bad feel, I totally agree with kmmatney.
When it comes to hybrid stringing than the kind of strings you use becomes a factor: as mentioned every string tends to lose tension, but polyester or monofilaments tend to lose less than multifilament. So you should pull a multifilament harder than you would do with a mono. I don't know wether you shoud pull a thinner gauge harder. I should think not (when it comes to the losing tension story), but maybe I'm wrong.
From another point of view: higher tensions give you more control, thinner gauges do the same. So This would tell you to use lower tension.
Just one more remark: when you use a hybrid, you normally do this because you have a great durable string (for the mains), but want a softer or more comfortable racket. Then you use a softer stringfor the crosses. To have a softer feel, you use a lower tension.
Conclusion: there are a lot of advices, and sometimes they even are contradictionary. I suggest you look at other's experiences and use them to decide how to string the first time. After that you can decide what would be better for you.
ssanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-22, 15:43   #5
ventajatuya

If you really want to find a difference between two strings it?s very important compare them in the same conditions. So I recomend use same tension if you?re going to try something new, as the gauge in this case.
Another parameter to considerate are the balls. Use the same brand and in both cases get new ones. And the last thing I care is the weather. Your test will be more accurate if you play in same conditions of temperature and humidity.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by ventajatuya; 2011-09-18 at 07:46.
ventajatuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 21:59   #6
Luminous
Stringer

Personally i like the crosses strung at 2/3 lbs higher than the mains, especially when using a Gut or Synthetic in the Crosses and Poly in the mains.
Old 2009-02-24, 01:43   #7
ventajatuya

Default Re: Main and crosses with diff. tension, is there any advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventajatuya View Post
If you really want to find a difference between two strings it?s very important compare them in the same conditions. So I recomend use same tension if you?re going to try something new, as the gauge in this case.
Another parameter to considerate are the balls. Use the same brand and in both cases get new ones. And the last thing I care is the weather. Your test will be more accurate if you play in same conditions of temperature and humidity.
When I string hybrid poly on mains and synthetic for crosses I preffer 2 lbs upper for crosses.
________
Sexpopcy

Last edited by ventajatuya; 2011-09-18 at 07:47.
ventajatuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 02:20   #8
JPtennis

Holy smokes! A thread brought back to life nearly 6 years. Very cool.
JPtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 21:44   #9
MHK
Mark

JP, this is the eternal question, hence is resurrection six years later.

After having tried many combo-hybrids at various tensions and with no discernable advantage, I have concluded that stringing the x's 2-3 lbs tighter than the mains results in a more comfortable, consistent string bed, a better feel-to-power ratio and longer play per string job. (And I expect to be refuted on every one of those claims by people who know more than me).
MHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-27, 21:56   #10
JPtennis

No one can tell you what does or does not feel good, so what you say is perfectly logical.

And I thought the Eternal Question was "How do I keep the damn ball on the court?"
JPtennis is offline   Reply With Quote