About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2010-12-31, 03:18   #1
joseadri
josesrv

Default Hybrid stringing as Federer

Hi everybody. I´m using the Wilson Blx six one tour 90 stringed with Polystar Energy 1.20 at 53 pounds. But it feels a little uncomfortable to me, I find that it stays vibrating a little while I´m hitting the ball. As I was reading the Federer stringing, according some places it is Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L for the crosses around 53 pounds, and Babolat VS Natural Gut 16 for the mains around 55 pounds. Also that he uses 10 Babolat Elasto cross string savers inserted, in a crisscross pattern across the five center main strings and the fourth and sixth cross strings.
I wonder if I must use this hybrid as I´m looking for comfort, feel, and some spin in that order. Also if I can change the natural gut for a string made in synthetic as the Babolat Xcel for example (always doing this for the mains)
many thanks for your opinions.
joseadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 22:45   #2
FIT410s
tennis bum

are you using a vibration dampener?

yes a hybrid should feel much much more comfortable
Old 2010-12-31, 23:24   #3
joseadri
josesrv

Smile vibration dampener

Yes. I began using a vibration dampener because the string vibration. But I still feel the string vibrating for a moment, enough to put stress to my forearm. That´s why I was trying to find a more comfortable string retaining the feel that gives me this raquet (I have been using the Babolat aero pro drive before, it dampens better, but I found it less powerful than the Wilson)
So, I guess that I can use multifilament for the mains and a polyester string for the cross, Am I right? or should I use Natural gut in the mains for the best result?
Many thanks.
Old 2010-12-31, 23:36   #4
FIT410s
tennis bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseadri View Post
Yes. I began using a vibration dampener because the string vibration. But I still feel the string vibrating for a moment, enough to put stress to my forearm. That´s why I was trying to find a more comfortable string retaining the feel that gives me this raquet (I have been using the Babolat aero pro drive before, it dampens better, but I found it less powerful than the Wilson)
So, I guess that I can use multifilament for the mains and a polyester string for the cross, Am I right? or should I use Natural gut in the mains for the best result?
Many thanks.

ohhh my internet friend please follow my directions

Natural gut mains with poly cross. This will give you wonderful feedback with excellent arm protection and very good power, with still very good spin production.

Gut costs more, but its worth it. With gut you really do get what you pay for.

It will also last longer keeping the playing characteristics much longer then any multi or full poly.
Old 2010-12-31, 23:45   #5
joseadri
josesrv

Smile Bright light

Wonderful! Many thanks for confirming what I thought it could be the best for feel, and for my forearm too! I´ll use that combination, Natural gut for mains and poly for cross. And if I get also power and spin, what else could I want?!
Happy New Year!
Regards,
José
Old 2010-12-31, 23:49   #6
FIT410s
tennis bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseadri View Post
Wonderful! Many thanks for confirming what I thought it could be the best for feel, and for my forearm too! I´ll use that combination, Natural gut for mains and poly for cross. And if I get also power and spin, what else could I want?!
Happy New Year!
Regards,
José

Jose you will so happy Im sure...but..., what poly will you use?

Dont use just any poly.

who strings your racquets?

what type of stringing machine?

What tension do you like?

I can give you an idea of what tension I recommend If you answer there questions

Federer uses gut main, and poly cross. Both around 50lbs. sometimes a bit looser or tighter depending on conditions or surface

he also gets a fresh frame every 6 games or so.

because of this i suggest gut main at 55lbs, poly cross at 53lbs

or a bit tighter for both if the stringing machine is a lock out, then go up 5lbs for both

the first time you hit with it it may be a bit too tight so give it time to loosen up and settle in, and time for you to adjust your stroke to the magical powers of gut

Last edited by FIT410s; 2010-12-31 at 23:56.
FIT410s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 01:22   #7
Overheadsmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIT410s View Post
ohhh my internet friend please follow my directions

Natural gut mains with poly cross. This will give you wonderful feedback with excellent arm protection and very good power, with still very good spin production.

Gut costs more, but its worth it. With gut you really do get what you pay for.

It will also last longer keeping the playing characteristics much longer then any multi or full poly.
I'm using the babolat tonic gut (the cheaper one) in the mains and babolat rpm blast 17 in the crosses and you are right - great feel and spin and power when I want it. Stringing it myself on my stringway ML120 - no problems with the gut when tensioning either.

Give that a try Jose.
Overheadsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 05:39   #8
joseadri
josesrv

Smile strings and machine

I couldn´t get my stringer, it must be celebrating the new year! I hope I´ll find him tomorrow...
I guess he´s using a digital stringing machine, and I saw it has many babolat reels too, it also has the kirschbaum pro line II mono and some others, I soon as I´ll get him I´ll give a confirmation of the options.
I prefer a live string, but retaining feel and control, I strung the polystar energy with 53 pounds to get a live response and avoid a hard bed of strings.
So, i will confirm what strings and what machine he´s using as soon as I can.
Regards,
José
Old 2011-01-01, 13:36   #9
ClubHoUno

Thumbs up

Fed uses Wilson nat gut 16 mains and Alu Rough cross, but most agree that Babolat makes the Wilson nat gut.
You get very nice mix of feel, touch, power, control and spin with this hybrid.

I use it myself and can only recommend it highly
Old 2011-01-03, 01:00   #10
joseadri
josesrv

Smile Possible cross strings options

As I decided to make an hybrid with main gut strings, these are my probable options as cross strings Luxilon adrenaline, Kirschbaum helix, Kirschbaum pro line II, Babolat revenge, Babolat rpm blast, Babolat N. Vy. Could it be one of these the better option or do I need to find another string for cross?
I´m enjoying now to play with a low tension. 53 for mono 55 for multi. I prefer a lively string, just with enough tension to ensure control.
The stringing machine is a Babolat Star 5.
Would it help to dampen vibrations to use 3 leather pieces between the strings and the gromets (as seems Federer uses) instead of a normal vibration dampener?
Best regards,
José

Last edited by joseadri; 2011-01-03 at 01:03.

Tags
blx90, federer, hybrid, tour, wilson