Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2010-04-08, 13:53   #1
stoneage

Default New iPhone app for string testing

I have just launched racquetTune in the AppStore. It is an app that calculates the tension in the stringbed by analyzing the sound from the racquet.

I would appreciate comments from the stringing experts in this forum.

You can find more info at:
http://appmaker.se/racquettune

Last edited by stoneage; 2010-04-08 at 15:30.
stoneage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 15:24   #2
armsty

I have purchased it. Will test it out tomorrow evening.
armsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 11:56   #3
Stefano
USRSA MRT

I bought it this morning, I couldn't resist

Well...I strung a racquet at 55 lbs, chose the head size and the kind of strings and...SPOT ON! 55 lbs!

It's definitely a great, useful application
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 11:59   #4
armsty

Just wondering, I play a hybrid of a poly main and a multi cross. I select poly string but the gauge is different as well as the string type for the main and the cross. Would this give an exact reading. If so I am devastated with the tension loss of MSV Focus Hex. 5lbs of tension loss in 1 week
Old 2010-04-10, 13:59   #5
Jay Cee

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
I bought it this morning, I couldn't resist
Well...I strung a racquet at 55 lbs, chose the head size and the kind of strings and...SPOT ON! 55 lbs!
It's definitely a great, useful application
I bought it yesterday, I rarely invest so much (0,79€) so quickly, but it intrigued me so I took the chance and am very pleased with the application.
It is well made, works amazingly well, is child's play to use and is always with me and ready to use. If you already have an I-phone, go for it . . .

If you are a stringer and you don't have an I-phone yet, here is an excellent reason to get one, it's a very good investment also.

By the way, if you test your stringbed tension and the result shows a loss of more than 3kgs, the read-out is quite accurate, the loss of tension is for real, it's just hard to admit it, this is not new, with the Stringmeter there is the same problem.

I just hope that this great little I-phone application will help more players realise just how much difference there can be between the applied tension on the machine and the real tension in the string-bed just after stringing, then after playing for a couple of hours.

What they do about this tension loss is an entirely different story.
Cheers,
JC

Stringway-Shop.eu
Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 15:51   #6
stoneage

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsty View Post
Just wondering, I play a hybrid of a poly main and a multi cross. I select poly string but the gauge is different as well as the string type for the main and the cross. Would this give an exact reading. If so I am devastated with the tension loss of MSV Focus Hex. 5lbs of tension loss in 1 week
When you pick a string racquetTune calculates a string factor which is the linear density of the string. So if you have two different strings the best procedure is to first pick one string and then the other. Then take the average of the two values you got and enter that manually.

Independent of which string factor you pick racquetTune will be a good tool to monitor tension loss.

As for an exact reading one should remember that the software calculates the average tension in the stringbed. Individual strings might have a different tension (even though they were all pulled with the same weight). But since all strings interact in the stringbed the frequency that racquetTune uses is a good reflection on how the racquet behaves.

/Sten
stoneage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 23:03   #7
Stefano
USRSA MRT

Hi John.

How are you?

Just yesterday I was talking about this app with Tim on GSS and he told me you had the same results as I had.

I really find this application very useful, most of all for tennis players. Sometimes it's not easy to explain them about SBS and DT, using Kg and lbs is much easier.

Here in Australia the iPhone is pretty popular, you can get one for free if you sign a contract with Telstra, Vodafone and others.

So I will spread the voice around and hopefully the players will learn to restring their racquets more often
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-10, 23:13   #8
gotwheels

Stoneage, Are you MarcR of Freqmess? Is this not the MarcR Freqmess program in a cell phone App? I am assuming the tension measure is a Kg or lb measure versus the ERT (&others) DT measure of Kp/cm, so there is a measurement unit difference. I have measured both for some time (Freqmess & ERT 300) and have not had a strong tracking correlation, but not grossly different. I have also seen variation in string linear or mass density, varying with the production lot.

Freqmess (& other DT measures) does a great job of tracking the stringbed performance/history. The smart phone is a great application. Good stuff.
gotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 11:01   #9
Jay Cee

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano View Post
Hi John.
How are you?
Just yesterday I was talking about this app with Tim on GSS and he told me you had the same results as I had.
I really find this application very useful, most of all for tennis players. Sometimes it's not easy to explain them about SBS and DT, using Kg and lbs is much easier.
Here in Australia the iPhone is pretty popular, you can get one for free if you sign a contract with Telstra, Vodafone and others.
So I will spread the voice around and hopefully the players will learn to restring their racquets more often
Hello Stephano,

I'm fine, enjoying life in general and tennis in particular, it's always a priviledge to be able to live one's (tennis) passion.

I agree with your observations about providing an efficient way to test stringbed tensions to a vast number of tennis players. If this could help players to become aware of the importance of tension loss, then it may well lead to more frequent racquet re-stringing, that would be great for all of us.

The choice of kgs/lbs rather than DT-Kgs/cm2 helps to demonstrate the relative tension loss directly, without complicated explanations. The facilities to personalize the frame size, the string type and the string gauge gives a serious notion of doing a speciic test on a given set-up, what would be nice to have would be a small tool to tap on the strings that would give optimal results when "tuning" the racquet. If there is too much noise around, a good read-out is difficult, you need to make the test in a quiet place.

Spreading the good word around and recommending the racquetTune application makes lots of sense, I will certainly do so as well. What StoneAge should do is to increase the price to US$10 and share his profits with his new Aussie marketing team . . .

Stringway-Shop.eu
Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-11, 11:03   #10
armsty

$10 is a bit steep. It's a simple app and a simple price is what you want for that.

Tags
frequency, iphone, tension