Classifieds: Wanted
Downloads
Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Racquet Stringing

Old 2011-04-20, 11:49   #11
HanS

Smile Mains and crosses

Hello
On stringforum.net there is a "nederlandse versie" with a link to the tension adviser (TA) The TA gives you the exact relation between tension of mains and crosses for different playing styles and number of strings M and C . TA is a product of Stringway a producer of one of the best stringing machines in the world. The TA minimises the risk of distortion of the racket. There must also be checklist for choosing the right DT value for your playing style. For poly's use 2-3 kg ( 4-6 lbs)less than nylon strings
Regards HanS
HanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-24, 23:48   #12
TennisVarriations

Default non sure

hi i'm currently trying different tension and i love to hit allot of top spins and slices. i was recommended to use a higher tension for my main and a lower tension for my cross by 2lbs of my main. any thoughts?
TennisVarriations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 06:04   #13
B.K.

I also wonder if using 2lb less tension in the crosses does have sense from the racquet construction point of view. Actually, with a 16x19 pattern, and supposing the ideal case where the strings do not stretch (so their lengths do not count), we should have the same stress on the frame from mains and from crosses.

Crosses being the last mounted strings on the racquet, their tension is the most accurate, and this is why I prefer to start calculations with the crosses. If stringing the crosses at 55lb, the stress they put on the frame will be of 19x55lb=1045lb. We should get from mains the same stress on the frame, which means the tension in mains should be 1045lb/16=65.3lb (10.3lb more than in crosses). The difference in tension is because we try to get the same stress all around the frame, using a different number of strings in crosses compared to mains. So, where less strings, more tension, and vice-versa. And these should be the tensions to set on the stringer if we wouldn't wave the strings, but just mount them in two separate layers, one over the other, one for mains and the second for crosses. Meanwhile, racquets are made to be strung at approximatively the same tension all around, and with the strings waved, not in two separate layers. This means the 10.3lb increased tension in mains should be won by waving them, when mounting the crosses.

The tension we apply on the crosses is, theoretically, the same with the tension they will be tightened at the end of the stringing process, because tension is applied on crosses already waved. But the mains we did tighten at the same tension while not waved, once waved will see an increase in their tension. Actually, the more we wave (or the more crosses we add) the tighten the mains become. And the tighten the mains become, reflects back on the already mounted crosses, tightening them too (not too much, just a little bit, because they were already waved, but the waves' amplitude increases with the increase in mains tension, and this puts some more tension on the first mounted crosses too). At the end, we finish with much tighten mains, and with some higher tension in the first mounted crosses compared to the last mounted ones.

In this view, let say we will use the same tension allover, a 55lb, and see what's the real tension after stringing. The most accurate tension we get is from the latest crosses: 55lb. First crosses will get tighter during the stringing, maybe to 57lb. At an average tension in crosses of 56lb, we'll get a stress in the frame of 19x56lb=1064lb. We should see the same stress on the frame coming from the mains (waved), so the mains should be tighten (at the end of the stringing, after waving) at 1064lb/16=66.5lb (11.5lb more than we set the tension on the stringer). But as seen before, the mains will only reach 65.3lb (just 10.3lb more than on the stringer). The difference of 1.2lb comes from the fact crosses tighten at 55lb on the stringer reached 56lb on the average, by increased waving during their mount.

So, setting the stringer at 55lb during the whole stringing process, will result in 19 crosses strung 1lb more on the average (56lb instead of 55lb), or 16 mains strung 1.2lb less than the tension insuring an all around equal stress on the frame (65.3lb instead of 66.5lb). Otherwise said, frame is horizontally compressed with 1lbx19crosses=19lb more than it is vertically.

In order to correct this (let call it) aberration, emerged during stringing the crosses, tension on the stringer should be set, either 1.2lb more when stringing the mains, or 1lb less when stringing the crosses (one of these, not both).

This calculation is based on the approximation that during their mounting, first crosses will see a tension increase of 2lb (from 55lb on the stringer, to 57lb in reality at the end of the stringing process), all giving an average increase in crosses tension of 1lb. But is this 1lb, or 1.5lb, or maybe 2lb? The range is there, but not the exact amount, 1lb is a reasonable supposition, an approximation that needs to be confirmed or corrected.

Now, this result was obtained considering the strings wouldn't stretch, which means the difference in length between mains and crosses wouldn't count. In reality strings stretch, which means shorter strings should be tensioned less than longer strings (crosses lower than mains) to compensate their stretching. This means we should increase the difference in tension between mains and crosses with another 0.5~1lb. On the average, this would give a 1.5~2lb (max. 1kg) less tension in crosses measured on the stringer, which is about what Jens recommended. Only here is a possible explanation.

Final note: These considerations were made by taking into account: an equal stress all around the frame, when strung with the same type of strings (not hybrids). Adjustments should be made with hybrids and/or playing preferences. Actually, +/-1~2lb will make not much of a difference for the frame, but could do a huge one for the player.

Sorry for the length of this reply.
PS1: I never strung a racquet, but prepare to do it.
PS2: I wouldn't have post this reply if I knew from the beginning it was #13 (hate this)!

Last edited by B.K.; 2013-11-04 at 05:35. Reason: More accurate view, and simplified calculations.
B.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 08:29   #14
TennisVarriations

Smile Non sure

B.k. Thank you for replying to my post
I do feel the difference in swing when using a 2lbs less in cross from main.
I was previously using a older raquet from babolat called babolat contest lite which had a recommended tension of 50-55lbs but when I asked my stringer what was the max he said I could use up to 59 as long as it was a poly string like the Dunlop black widow as main and gamma live wire 17 cross at 57. I loved the response. I am currently using babolats gt and pure drive lite with similar string set up what string tension do you reccomend?
TennisVarriations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-10, 17:20   #15
B.K.

Can't recommend a tension for this setup. My PS1 said I never strung a racquet yet. I just prepare to do it, and even to do some experiments, unusual experiments like changing mains on hybrids while crosses still on the racquet... This is why I was interested in the stress strings put on frames, waved and unwaved (especially crosses unwaved, for the experiment I plan). But this stress is just a part of the problem, the other part is to find a stringer allowing me to mount a racquet at 3:00 and 9:00 to keep the frame uncompressed with only the crosses on it. But the season almost ended, and this gives me some time to do my homework.
Old 2013-10-12, 00:17   #16
Richard Parnell

Because of the friction of the crosses being pulled through the mains ( being pulled while weaved ), the crosses are being tensioned at bout 40% less tension than the mains that didn't have any resistance .
Your calculations need to take this into account.
All the best,
Richard
Richard Parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 02:58   #17
B.K.

40% for just the friction between crosses and mains looks much too much. Instead, it could equal the 2lb difference in tension between mains and crosses, to get an even stress around a frame with a 16x19 pattern. This means crosses could be tensioned at the same value with mains (for 16x19), to compensate the friction which actually tricks the machine? Maybe, but I would use the same 2lb for the other patterns too. Sounds right? It does for me. Good point Richard.
Old 2013-10-12, 11:31   #18
Richard Parnell

If you let your calibration device " just touch" anything while testing tension it will throw the precision off. Imagine the resistance of having to be pulled through 16 mains. The 40% is not made up by me or imagined, it is information freely available through the USRSA and ERSA.
All the best,
Richard
Richard Parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 00:27   #19
sweet impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parnell View Post
Because of the friction of the crosses being pulled through the mains ( being pulled while weaved ), the crosses are being tensioned at bout 40% less tension than the mains that didn't have any resistance .
Your calculations need to take this into account.
Does this mean that you have to use about 40% more tension on the crosses to get a truly even stringbed, where the mains and crosses are at the same tension?

And also would you have to start with a lower main tension to take into account the increase in the mains that comes from the cross strings being strung at higher tension?
sweet impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-17, 20:31   #20
sweet impact

I tried the method I mentioned above with some good results. Using the stringmeter, I was noticing that the tension in the mains would go up about 15lbs when measuring before and after doing the crosses. I also noticed a 10lbs drop in the finished crosses compared to the tension setting on the machine (Gamma X-2). This is likely from the friction of weaving the mains.

So I strung my Head TiRadical OS with Polylon 17 at 30lbs on the mains, and 50lbs on the crosses. I was going for a target of 45lbs for both mains and crosses. I ended up with 45/43. No stressing of the frame or damage was observed and the tension is stable after playing with it for 2 hours.

So I really don't see any issue with going much higher on the cross tension as long as you keep your main tension lower to anticipate the increase.
sweet impact is offline   Reply With Quote