Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2006-01-10, 20:50   #1
nateng72

Default Jay Cee please comment on your method

this is for Jay Cee or Joe or Kwick or anyone else familiar with JC's method.

i have followed your method of stringing the mains 4 lbs less than the cross for quite a while now. just the other day, a thought came to me and i was wondering if you could comment on it. instead of increasing tension on the last 2 mains by 8 lbs ea. (on a 16 main racquet) due to approx. 2 lb loss per string at the 2 knots, why not start out increasing the tension by 2 lbs. for example, i normally strung my stick at 55lbs main/59lbs cross. why not start out at 57lbs main and 59 lbs on the cross. i think all that i'm suggesting is instead of putting 8lbs on each of the last 2 strings per side and going back pressing down on each string to distribute the tension evenly with my thumbs, can't we achieve the same by adding these 2 lbs to each main as we string.

the pros for doing this:
1) wouldn't you rather add 2 lbs per main than adding 8lbs to the last 2 mains on each side? i ask this b/c when i pull the last 2 by 8lbs, i see my racquet flex quite a bit. (i have a 2 point mount system prince machine)
2) i would still go back and use the thumb method to even out the tension. however, i thought that since all the mains already have the 2 lbs added in, it would be easier to evenly distribute the tension to the outer strings since that's where the loss will occur due to the knots.

the cons: this is where i would like to get your comments as well as anyone else that would like to give theirs.

by-the-way, i'm currently using signum pro megaforce 17ga. on the mains at 55lbs and gamma syn. gut 18ga. for cross. - any comments here?

i am still learning after about 200+ racquets strung, so your wisdom and advise is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

nate n.
nateng72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 22:04   #2
Jens
String Freak
Administrator

Default Re: Jay Cee please comment on your method

@nateng72
Good idea if you ask me. Reason: It is favorable to have the outside mains at a lower tension than the center mains due to the decreased length (resulting in a larger sweet spot). If you distribute the lower tension from the outside to the inside, I guess you could achieve this in an easy manner.
Do you have a Stringmeter? You could measure the result directly. I will try to remember this when I do my next frame. The question is whether the results will be predictable / reproducible in any way.

Megaforce 17 / SynGut 18 sounds like a decent combinaton to me.

Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 01:40   #3
squashguy

the tension on the last main won't matter much. some people like to raise the tension to have a tight last main since it loosen up a little when you tie the knot. If you don't bump up the tension, and tie off, the last main will be a little looser, and will remain looser for the remainer of the string life. There is too much friction at the grommets for the tension in the middle of the racket to pull up the tension in the last main (or cross).
squashguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 20:08   #4
nateng72

@Joe,

i tried this yesterday on my head radical tour at 57lbs main/59lbs cross. i must say, it felt great. the string bed seemed very stable and the best part of it is that i'm not killing the vains in my thumb trying to distribute the higher tension of the last 2 strings back to the other mains. and although i did use the thumb method, b/c there's not such high tension on the last 2 strings, i didn't have to do it as hard. one other thing i did noticed as i was stringing, not having to raise the tension on the last 2 string made it easier and somewhat faster. when i first started out using JC's method, i sometimes forget to raise the tension on the last two strings, therefore, ended up not adding enough tension. also, when doing a 16 mains or 18 mains racquet to make sure i raise it at the right string. my machine has a dial with an analog tension readout gauge and i hate to increase tension on the wrong string and having to go back to reset it. if it had a digital readout, it would be easier. i'm just one of those guys who's really anal about doing a "perfect" job, although, i'm sure that i'm far from perfect. lastly, i think that you're right about the sweetspot being bigger. have you tried it? please let me know what you think when you do. thanks!

@squashguy,

i would disagree with you about loosing "little" tension on the knots and not feeling much difference. for me, when stringing with softer strings, i'm able to tie the knot much tighter and, therefore, the slack isn't as bad. however, when stringing with strings that are stiff or hard, i can see a good deal of slack even though i pulled hard to eliminate it. on these stringing jobs, i can tell that i've lost much more tension at the 2 knots. and although you are right about the grommet being tight, but over a few sets, you can feel the tension drop sipping in (more than the expected usual). but i appreciate your input! thanks.
Old 2006-01-13, 02:24   #5
squashguy

I don't have any experience with poly. I guess what i'm saying is that trying to increase all the tensioned mains by a couple pounds isn't worth it.
Would you say that on poly, you'll end up with a loose last main whether or not you bump up the tension on the last string or two?

When you say the stringbed feels looser after playing, do you feel this is because the center mains are pulling up the tension from the last main, or is the last main still loose anyway and it's just string relaxation that would occur anyway?
squashguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 02:49   #6
Masamusou

Try using the Parnell knot on poly and stiff strings. It cinches up tighter than the standard double half hitch so you lose less tension. http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/kno...ith%20a%20Tail
Old 2006-01-13, 19:38   #7
nateng72

Quote:
I don't have any experience with poly. I guess what i'm saying is that trying to increase all the tensioned mains by a couple pounds isn't worth it.
Would you say that on poly, you'll end up with a loose last main whether or not you bump up the tension on the last string or two?

When you say the stringbed feels looser after playing, do you feel this is because the center mains are pulling up the tension from the last main, or is the last main still loose anyway and it's just string relaxation that would occur anyway?
well, if you're using the JC method of increasing 8 lbs per string of the last 2 strings per side, left and right, for a total of 32 lbs net (on a 16 mains racquet), i do feel that it is significant. and after pressing down on each strings after finishing the mains, the tension "equilizes" out over the rest of the mains. so, although i did not calibrate the tension of each of the mains, i would say that if you do right, the tension on each string is pretty even.

on your last question, i feel it's a combination of both. although strings do lose tension over time, i felt that the loose tension of the outer string does add to it.

@Masamusou,

i do! thanks all!
Old 2006-01-18, 20:42   #8
nateng72

Jay Cee...any comments on increasing 2lbs throughout the main stringbed instead of 8lbs on the last two?
Old 2006-01-19, 14:47   #9
ggtennis

I am not certain +2 mains would create the same effect. It seems, however, like it would be a more consistent method. In the original JC method, you are pressing the center of all the main strings and are in effect creating a variable that can not be exactly replicated each time. How hard did you press each string? How long did you press each string? As you can see, these issues can lead to inconsistency in the original JC method. The significance of the inconsistency is unknown, but there is clearly potential for some variance from stringjob to stringjob. Stringers strive for consistency so finding an alternative to pressing the mains with your thumb to equalize tension is not a bad quest. One that makes perfect sense.

Personally I am grateful that JC provided information about his method of stringing. I have experimented with different variations on the theme and have found a version that works well for me. I do in fact have several customers who prefer this method. For me the basics remain the same. I do increase the tension on the outer 2 mains, but do not press the mains to equalize tension.

Blog with us at:
http://www.gutsandglorytennis.com/blog/
ggtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 18:44   #10
nateng72

hey ggtennis,

thanks for the reply. don't get me wrong, i'm grateful for this forum and all that i've learned. and really, what i've posted here is to ask what JC think about what i proposed. it is in no way disrespecting to his method or him. it is also the reason why i would like for him to comment...to get his take on it since i'm sure he'd tried many variance before settling on this method. yet, i'm still waiting for his reply...

nate n.