Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2017-11-15, 17:58   #1
jman

Default New Racket Lost My Lefty Kick Spin - String’s ?

I recently changed rackets from a Prince EXO3 Black 100 Head with NXT 16 string’s to the Babolat Pure Strike 16x19 98 inch head with NXT 16 string’s. Both rackets strung at 57. The Prince gave me a great lefty kick serve and the new Babolat has more power on the serve however I can not get the kick serve and spin with this racket. The serve is flatter and has more power however the ball does not spin and kick like it used to with the Prince. Would you suggest changing strings and tension to get the kick spin back. I would appreciate recommendations regarding hybrid strings. I need a soft string in my racket because of shoulder issues. I was thinking Dunlap Black Widow 16 in mains at 55 and NXT 16 in crosses at 57 to achieve the desired spin on my kick serve. Thoughts.
jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 16:21   #2
SPMoney

I've changed from a Warrior 100 (with the O ports) to a Pure Strike 98 16x19. I found on my warrior I had to run much higher string tensions than I would on a "normal" racquet in order to get any kind of control. When I made the switch I dropped from 62lbs to 52. After some trial and error, I'm settling into a tension of 46 with poly strings.

The reason I was playing with the Warrior 100: It was super comfortable and I had come off an elbow injury that sidelined me for a long tome. The Prince O-ports are the best thing I found to alleviate my pain and it kept me in the game as I became stronger and ultimately pain free. In the 2 years I played with the Warrior, I began with a gut/poly hybrid strung at 57. But the stringbed was powerful and I had a hard time controlling my ground strokes. Over time I went up in tension and ultimately changed to full 18 ga poly. That helped the Prince play better while still offering an extremely comfortable playing experience. (Those O-ports are elbow savers.)

Still, I never loved the feel of the Warrior. And although I was grateful it got me back in the game, when I became completely pain-free I searched for a new racquet and ultimately chose the Pure Strike, which I'm loving. However, I knew I would have to drop my string tension back down to low 50's playing with a more traditional frame.

When you drop tension I would recommend experimenting with thin, soft polys. In my experience, a low tension 17L or 18 ga "soft" poly can be as easy on your tendons as higher tension multis. And a full poly low tension setup, or even a gut/poly (gut mains) gives monster spin. I've become a big an of the strings Weiss Cannon makes. I love the spin I get from Ultra Cable and I'm going to try their Blue Rockin Power and their Fire Stroke soon. (As a bonus, the color on the Fire Stroke is going to look kick-ass in the PS.)

To sum up, you're going to have to experiment to find the perfect balance of tension/string/racquet. My experience sounds similar to your situation. I switched from a Prince O-Port to a Pure Strike 98 16x19. And I have dealt with a tennis related arm injury. Based on my experience, I'd recommend you switch to a thin, soft poly and drop to 47 lbs of tension to begin with, then experiment with going lower from there. These are massive changes from your last setup but if you approach it with an open mind, I think you'll be surprised with the spin/power/control/feel you get with low impact to your shoulder.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk
SPMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-09, 13:30   #3
3virgul14

Good advices, thanks mate!

I had tendon issues ( finger and wrist ) in my hand before i started tennis, and first few years since I was playing lightly with a beginner`s racquet + natural gut combo, had never realized any problem.

Last year I started playing competitively in a club and as I raised my game , changed to a H22 and some quality poly`s to get more power for attacking.. Well I win matches but first started to feel some pain in the arm, then the wrist and finally the shoulder and neck.. I went lower with the tension but no help..

Now I realized probably its the heavy racquet (330g) and the poly`s all working against me.. I ordered an O-port Prince Beast 98 , also an Angell K7 with 63 Ra.. Hoping to minimize the effect on my tendons and then raise my game little bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMoney View Post
I've changed from a Warrior 100 (with the O ports) to a Pure Strike 98 16x19. I found on my warrior I had to run much higher string tensions than I would on a "normal" racquet in order to get any kind of control. When I made the switch I dropped from 62lbs to 52. After some trial and error, I'm settling into a tension of 46 with poly strings.

The reason I was playing with the Warrior 100: It was super comfortable and I had come off an elbow injury that sidelined me for a long tome. The Prince O-ports are the best thing I found to alleviate my pain and it kept me in the game as I became stronger and ultimately pain free. In the 2 years I played with the Warrior, I began with a gut/poly hybrid strung at 57. But the stringbed was powerful and I had a hard time controlling my ground strokes. Over time I went up in tension and ultimately changed to full 18 ga poly. That helped the Prince play better while still offering an extremely comfortable playing experience. (Those O-ports are elbow savers.)

Still, I never loved the feel of the Warrior. And although I was grateful it got me back in the game, when I became completely pain-free I searched for a new racquet and ultimately chose the Pure Strike, which I'm loving. However, I knew I would have to drop my string tension back down to low 50's playing with a more traditional frame.

When you drop tension I would recommend experimenting with thin, soft polys. In my experience, a low tension 17L or 18 ga "soft" poly can be as easy on your tendons as higher tension multis. And a full poly low tension setup, or even a gut/poly (gut mains) gives monster spin. I've become a big an of the strings Weiss Cannon makes. I love the spin I get from Ultra Cable and I'm going to try their Blue Rockin Power and their Fire Stroke soon. (As a bonus, the color on the Fire Stroke is going to look kick-ass in the PS.)

To sum up, you're going to have to experiment to find the perfect balance of tension/string/racquet. My experience sounds similar to your situation. I switched from a Prince O-Port to a Pure Strike 98 16x19. And I have dealt with a tennis related arm injury. Based on my experience, I'd recommend you switch to a thin, soft poly and drop to 47 lbs of tension to begin with, then experiment with going lower from there. These are massive changes from your last setup but if you approach it with an open mind, I think you'll be surprised with the spin/power/control/feel you get with low impact to your shoulder.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk
3virgul14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kick serve, racket, spin, strings