Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2008-05-09, 12:24   #1
lub10is

Default Wilson nBlade 98 hybrid stringing

Perhaps a simple question. I've been stringing for only about a year but have a fairly good number of regulars now. One guy asked me to do a hybrid string for his Wilson nBlade 98 which I've been stringing for a while with one peice. I have been tying the mains at ss7T but the stringing pattern from Wilson first of all doesn't say where to tie the mains and secondly says to tie the 2 piece crosses at 5h and 7T. Any ideas on where the mains for 2-peice stringing for that racket should be? Thanks!
lub10is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 10:25   #2
Jens
String Freak
Administrator

So obviously the mains end at the throat, so you tie them off at 7T.
You start the crosses at 5H. Now you have to look for a suitable (larger) hole to tie off the crosses at the throat. It might well be one of the holes that carry a cross string. But I can't tell you which one.
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 16:25   #3
gotwheels

See if this fits as a two-piece instruction for the nBlade 98 (18x20 string pattern):
Mains start at head.
Mains skip 8H,T and 10 H,T.
Mains tie at 7T.
Crosses start at 8H.
Crosses tie at 6H, 12T.
String length: 20' mains, 17.5' crosses (dependent on your machine).

On a one-piece, this is a good candidate for ATW, as the mains end at the throat. At one point, I think the stringing instruction was in error on the Wilson site.

Good luck and let us know if this is correct.
gotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 02:41   #4
lub10is

Thanks for the help! Any suggestions on soft feel hybrid combos? If I drop the lbs on the main strings (I tried Babolat Hurricane mains with VS crosses) will that give less of a rock on my elbow?
Old 2008-05-13, 05:00   #5
Jetpilot2112
Tennis bum

lub10is...I just recently tried some VS mains and Bab Pro Hurricane Tour crosses and did NOT like it...too much power!! It felt "pingy" and did not have the usual feel and ball pocketing I'm used to with an NG hybrid. I'm curious to see how it is with the strings reversed and a lower tension...
Old 2008-05-13, 15:34   #6
gotwheels

lub10is, You mention "rock on my elbow". In your selection of reference tension, have you accounted for the dense string bed of this frame? I find the need for significant reference tension changes when going from (the same frame specs) 16x19 to 18x20. Good luck.
Old 2008-05-13, 22:31   #7
lub10is

I had been using Wilson NXT Tours at 60 which I loved the feel and play of but didn't like the poor durability and loss of tension. When I tried the hybrid I strung the mains at 60 with the Hurricane and the crosses at 57.5 with the VS but felt that although it gave good power and actually great spin control it seemed to really hurt my elbow which hadn"t really been an issue before. I don't know if I dropped them down a little more on tension if the comfort level would improve or if I'd lose more of the feel.
Old 2008-05-14, 16:55   #8
gotwheels

lub10is, A poly and a softer multifilament are at opposite ends of the arm friendly play spectrum. It is typically recommended as a starting target to drop reference tension 10% from a synthetic gut (possibly even a little more for a multi) for a change to a polyester monfilament. You may find that you need less than 10% of a reference tension reduction, depending on your arm sensitivity. Many times we try to play with too high of a reference tension. In your dense string pattern, even if you do not have a sensitive arm, I would guess your current set-up plays like a board. I would recommend that you lower/experiment with your reference tension. VS is an expensive cross to experiment with - maybe try a good synthetic gut. Also, there are a number of excellent copolys that offer better playability, performance, tension maintenance, and comfort for the club player. Good luck.
Old 2008-05-14, 20:39   #9
Jetpilot2112
Tennis bum

Yes, speaking of the copoly's, I am a big fan of SPPP (Signum Pro Poly Plasma). It is surprisingly soft and offers good ball pocketing. I can get away with hardly a drop in tension at all, but I'm probably in the minority. Perhaps I simply have an arm that isn't so sensitive. I do, however, pair it up with something soft, like a nice multifilament. In a heavy-framed racquet like my RDS002 tour's, the SPPP plays like a dream. Also check out MSV and Weisscannon
Old 2008-05-14, 22:09   #10
lub10is

Thank you guys! I really appreciate all the words of advice and will give them a try. Will let you know how things go.