Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Tennis Strings

Old 2009-08-14, 06:03   #1
chadakin

Default String breakage and slight wrist problem...

I have recently tried Topspin Cyber Flash 1.25, and really like it, but I only got @15 hours of play out of it before I broke one of the mains. I realize some players are quite content with 15 hours of play, but I would like more. I have been considering a couple different options and have several questions I hope you don't mind answering.

I could get Cyber Flash 1.30, but it seems to be not nearly as good as its 1.25 counterpart according to the ratings database. Is Cyber Flash 1.25 that much better than the 1.30?

I have also thought about switching to something more durable (again, according to the ratings database) such as Signum Pro Poly Plasma 1.23, but I don't know much about it. Is it enough more durable to warrant a switch?

On top of the string breakage issue, I also have had a minor wrist problem, which is manageable at this point. I typically hit hard forehands with heavy topspin, which is likely part of the problem given my wrist problem is only on the forehand side. Would it suffice to do wrist exercises to strengthen my wrist and warm it up before I play (if so, what might they be?) or would be be better/necessary to switch to a softer Poly? Is Signum Pro Poly Plasma considerably softer than the Cyber Flash 1.25 that I have been using?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I thought you guys could probably help me sort out everything I have been considering.

Thanks,
Chad
chadakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 20:19   #2
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the strings you are talking about. I do however have some experience with tennis elbow, and other arm injuries. First of all the few times I've used poly my arm problems were made worse. Perhaps if I gave it more time I could have minimized these issues with reducing tension.
As for doing arm stretches and exercises, that is one of the best thing you can do for yourself. I would go to a physical therapist and have them help you develop a routine for you to work with. Short of that just doing basic weights, you know curls, bench press, rows, pull-ups, push-ups, will all help strengthen the muscles in the areas surrounding the more delicate ligaments/tendons. Just don't over do it, start with light weights high reps, and go SLOWWWW!

One last thing you can do for yourself just for sanity sakes, and I mean no disrespect at all, but maybe going to a tennis pro who specializes in swing mechanics would be a good idea. They can video your swing and identify technical flaws that can lead to arm issues. I know my own issues are 95% caused by hitting the ball late and muscling my racket the rest of the way.
Okay there are my 2 cents... about all it's worth on this topic.
Good luck,
Louis
loudriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 04:31   #3
Rjgregory
MN Tennis

Use a heavy soup can and do wrist rolls of the edge of a counter. I do that as well as I use a wrist roller (not sure what it is called. At the top there is a bar it is attached to a string with weight at the bottom. That is all wrist. You can buy they at Target or any sporting good store.
Rjgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 04:08   #4
chadakin

loudriver23: Thanks for the reply. I will definitely consider the suggestions for wrist exercises. It can't hurt! As for speaking with a tennis pro, I have considered it though I am not sure he or she could tell me anything I don't already know (in terms of my technique causing wrist problems). I can tell when I am using my wrist to generate topspin and when I generate it as I should. In both instances my wrist experiences pain, though it is much worse when my technique isn't what it should be.

Thanks,
Chad

Last edited by chadakin; 2009-08-17 at 04:11. Reason: I needed to identify who I was replying to.
Old 2009-08-17, 04:12   #5
chadakin

Rjgregory: Thanks for the reply. I'll check to see if Walmart has what you are referring to or something similar.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 2009-08-17, 04:12   #6
chadakin

Default Others?

Any other recommendations or answers to my various questions?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 2009-08-17, 23:59   #7
JPtennis

Test out some of the great co-poly strings out there. Wonderful playing characteristics and much easier on the wrist and art.
JPtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 15:50   #8
chadakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPtennis View Post
Test out some of the great co-poly strings out there. Wonderful playing characteristics and much easier on the wrist and art.
Which of the co-poly strings do you recommend, especially those that are similar to Cyber Flash?

Thanks,
Chad
Old 2009-08-19, 11:55   #9
JPtennis

Well, there are lots out there. This TennisWarehouse thread has some good information:http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=3821693
JPtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 19:57   #10
alidisperanza

A few questions:

What tension are you stringing at?
Are you using strictly the Cyber or are you stringing it as a hybrid?
How often do you play?
Have you noticed particular strokes that affect your wrist?

Now that that's over with. I too have wrist problems and elbow problems =/. . 15 hours is a pretty solid play time for the strings you're talking about. Often times polys become "dead" long before they break and can often be a big issue in pain problems. I did some research and some personal testing (with ProHurricane Tour) and it felt like more shock was transferred to the wrist towards the end of the life. As for the gauge question the difference is pretty minute especially between strings such as the 16 and 16(L). Unless one is really in-tune with your racquet and strings the difference is negligible. Most of my customers can't tell the difference. Try out the thicker gauge and let us know! It may help your pain issues marginally as well since a thicker string will absorb more shock.

SPPP is a great string. It's very versatile by it's self or strung up in a hybrid. I would recommend it to any poly user. I also found that Kirshbaum Pro Line II tends to be a bit easier on the arm (Just an opinion).

One last recommendation I would suggest is stringing your racquet as a hybrid. There are many great combinations available today that would cater to your playing style as well as help your arm. For comfort I would suggest putting a multi-filament in the crosses.

A final thought- Having a pro look at your swing isn't a bad idea. Becoming an instructor I found little nuances in my fore-hand that translated to pain. Fixing little things that seem like nothing can sometimes go a long way!

Best of luck and I hope this helped!
~A
-X-life Hybrid (Max Touch)
alidisperanza is offline   Reply With Quote