About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2010-06-16, 13:33   #1
Newstringer

Default Need advice on stocking up on strings

Hi everybody
I'm new to stringing, about to order a Stringway ML100 (after looking at lots of your useful advice) - can I get suggestions for popular/commonly used reels of string to acquire - I'll probably be doing just a few racquets a month at first for friends/club players? Was thinking to get 3 or 4 different options?

Thanks for any help
Newstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 16:15   #2
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

Well the obvious starter would be to get a reel of Prince Synthetic Gut Mono Fil 16 gauge with Duraflex.
That's the good old standard you will probably string the most of.

From there it gets a bit trickier, as I've found the players today all do their crazy tennis-warehouse research and expect you to stock everything they do.

I would suggest if you can afford to do so stocking a decent multi-fil in both 16 & 17 gauge. I like Technifibre NRG2, and Gamma LivewireXP personally.

Then of course you need to stock some poly for the hybrid jobs
Maybe some Luxilon ALU Power, or the WeissCanon Silverstring. I also have tried this new Solinco string and honestly it plays really well for the price. You might be able to get some good bang for the buck with that.

Anyhow I'm sure the other stringers with more experience than myself will chime in with their own suggestions.
Good luck, and welcome!
loudriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 17:36   #3
sovertennis

I've had good luck with Gosen strings, esp OG Sheep Micro and Polylon for hybrid jobs. You also might consider Technifibre Polyspin. You can buy all these in reels, generally pretty inexpensively.
sovertennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 23:06   #4
BallJacker

Gosen OGSM in 16 and 17 in reels, Forten Nylon 15L reel, and any of your favorite string. I don't like to stock up on string that does not sell or move fast. It's just like money sitting there. Recently I got Head C3 Rocket for $2 a set and Wilson Stamina for $2 also. I bought 5 sets of each. Ask your friends and players what string they use to get an idea of what is popular. Most of the time they really don't care, and will go with your advice, so give them something playable, and they will come back to get restrung again.
BallJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 02:32   #5
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallJacker View Post
Gosen OGSM in 16 and 17 in reels, Forten Nylon 15L reel, and any of your favorite string. I don't like to stock up on string that does not sell or move fast. It's just like money sitting there. Recently I got Head C3 Rocket for $2 a set and Wilson Stamina for $2 also. I bought 5 sets of each. Ask your friends and players what string they use to get an idea of what is popular. Most of the time they really don't care, and will go with your advice, so give them something playable, and they will come back to get restrung again.
What's up with the Forten Nylon?
Old 2010-06-17, 06:15   #6
BallJacker

It's a cheep Nylon, like the Leona 66 of it's day. It brakes down to about $1 a set. Though I would probably up sell to Gosen or Forten Sweet.
Old 2010-06-17, 14:32   #7
sovertennis

Balljacker is right in that you need to ask your friends what they want. If they shrug ask them about elbow problems, frequent string breaking, more/less power, etc. Don't make any assumptions. When you return their newly strung racquets, tell them briefly how you've strung it and ask for feedback after they've hit with it for a few hours. And write down their name, tension, string, etc in a notebook so you have a record.
sovertennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 17:13   #8
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallJacker View Post
It's a cheep Nylon, like the Leona 66 of it's day. It brakes down to about $1 a set. Though I would probably up sell to Gosen or Forten Sweet.
Do you find the Gosen superior to the PSG?
Old 2010-06-17, 23:35   #9
BallJacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudriver23 View Post
Do you find the Gosen superior to the PSG?
I think playability wise Gosen is better than PSG. The String Forum database rates it in the Top 5 for Price/Performance. And the color selection is not too bad, in the 17G, though only three colors in reels.

Last edited by BallJacker; 2010-06-17 at 23:45.
Old 2010-06-18, 21:47   #10
Gerwalk

I have a bunch of friends who are wishy washy about their strings so I have refined my selection to

Volkl Cyclone (Poly) 17 guage for full jobs and hybrids ($6.00 per set)
Gosen OG micro (Solid core synthetic) 16 and 17 for full jobs and hybrids ($36.00 per reel)
Wilson Sensation 16 (Multifilament) 16 for full jobs, hybrids and tender elbows ($100.00 per reel)

Then I have my own stock of strings which I'll dip into if someone is a bit more discriminating (RPM, Black Code, TNT and NRG)

But I find most players who are really into their equipment buy their own strings. I made the mistake of going all out the first time I bought strings and I had a lot of pricey stuff laying around for a LONG time.
Gerwalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stringing, strings