Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2010-06-18, 22:49   #11
Gerwalk

The Volkl Cyclone seems to be a helluva string and I will be looking into Forten Sweet based on the reviews and comments.
Gerwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 04:24   #12
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerwalk View Post
I have a bunch of friends who are wishy washy about their strings so I have refined my selection to

Volkl Cyclone (Poly) 17 guage for full jobs and hybrids ($6.00 per set)
Gosen OG micro (Solid core synthetic) 16 and 17 for full jobs and hybrids ($36.00 per reel)
Wilson Sensation 16 (Multifilament) 16 for full jobs, hybrids and tender elbows ($100.00 per reel)

Then I have my own stock of strings which I'll dip into if someone is a bit more discriminating (RPM, Black Code, TNT and NRG)

But I find most players who are really into their equipment buy their own strings. I made the mistake of going all out the first time I bought strings and I had a lot of pricey stuff laying around for a LONG time.
I think I'm liking your method Gerwalk. If I try to cater to the gear nerds and try to carry everything TW does, I'll go broke. I think refining it to having a reel or two of each of the family of strings is a much better idea.
If I know a customer has a particular taste in string maybe I should recommend that they purchase their own string. That way I can guarantee having their racket done in the agreed upon time. Having to wait for a TW delivery would be painful.
loudriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 10:32   #13
Stefano
USRSA MRT

Usually, for a home based stringing business, it would be enough to have:

- a cheap nylon
- a synthetic gut
- a couple of polys (a smooth one and a geared one)
- a decent (not necessarily a very expensive one) soft multi
- maybe (and I repeat, MAYBE) a very thin kevlar for string breakers.

That would do the trick. Young kids (and more often than not even crappy players) ask for RPM, PHT, ALU and all that stuff, but most people just ask for a good string that lasts long, plays well and cost little, so there is always a way out

Then asking around to people would help a lot. I suppose there is always the possibility - in case of emergency - to walk in a tennis shop, buy a set and install it to someone's racquet, making the client happy and making profit with labour

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it, just piss on it and walk away"
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 18:00   #14
Newstringer

Thanks to everyone for your advice - very helpful. I can't wait to get started now - hopefully I'll let you know how things go in time - cheers
Newstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 03:30   #15
Gerwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudriver23 View Post
I think I'm liking your method Gerwalk. If I try to cater to the gear nerds and try to carry everything TW does, I'll go broke. I think refining it to having a reel or two of each of the family of strings is a much better idea.
If I know a customer has a particular taste in string maybe I should recommend that they purchase their own string. That way I can guarantee having their racket done in the agreed upon time. Having to wait for a TW delivery would be painful.
Heh, it looks cool when you have this great selection but yeah it was a waste for me. I would explain all the differences in the strings to people and get all animated and excited cause I love talking tennis gear and their only question would be "what's the cheapest one?" followed by "$10.00! How about $8.00?"

I pretty much have just limited it to my friends for the last couple of months. I figure the rest is just wear and tear on my machine that I don't really need. Plus I'm a total string snob.
Old 2010-06-21, 06:36   #16
KendraB
Silver Hair

I recommend stocking a few sets of Gamma Professional. At $20 per set it is expensive. But people really like it, and you get return customers. P.S., the ML 100 is a great machine for multifilaments like Gamma professional.
KendraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 06:50   #17
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerwalk View Post
Heh, it looks cool when you have this great selection but yeah it was a waste for me. I would explain all the differences in the strings to people and get all animated and excited cause I love talking tennis gear and their only question would be "what's the cheapest one?" followed by "$10.00! How about $8.00?"
I especially like the one that goes..
"You want $15 for that one? Tennis Warehouse sells it for $13.50"
loudriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 08:21   #18
Gerwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraB View Post
I recommend stocking a few sets of Gamma Professional. At $20 per set it is expensive. But people really like it, and you get return customers. P.S., the ML 100 is a great machine for multifilaments like Gamma professional.
I keep Tecnifibre Biphase on hand as my "top end" multifilament. Of course I usually end up putting them in my own racquets. I'm my own best customer.
Old 2010-06-21, 09:32   #19
BallJacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraB View Post
I sell Gamma Professional installed for $25. I was able to pick up a couple sets for $15 each, expecting a couple of my friends who use Gamma Professional to use it. They both went for Global Natural Gut which I sell for $29 install. So now I have two sets of Gamma Professional just sitting. That's $30 just sitting.
BallJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 07:03   #20
KendraB
Silver Hair

Balljacker, I keep an inventory of $500. That is money that is just sitting. But I charge for that. I sell Gamma Professional installed for $36. Still a low price compared with most shops. My customers who use this string really like it, and they almost always come back for more. Have you played with it? It's the best nylon there is, in my opinion, of course.
KendraB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stringing, strings