Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2003-10-23, 20:31   #1
BigBubba

Default Spaghetti Stringing

I am a recreational player and have no intention to compete against Juan Carlos Ferrero. However, I do like to have more fun on the game and trying out new/ old technologies. Anyway, has anyone seen or used racquets with 'spaghetti stringing' pattern? I was told that I can generate more topspin with 'spaghetti stringing'. Unfortunately, I was also told that it is illegal to use 'spaghetti stringing' in real tournaments. Thanks.
BigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-27, 14:03   #2
ssanders

Default Re: Spaghetti Stringing

I actually don't have a clue what 'spaghetti stringing' is, but I have read a little about tennis regulation.
A frame must contain onl stringing pattern, as flat a possible and strings must be weaved or attached to each other on each crossing. The pattern cannot be disturbed by any objects.
A couple of examples: a string dampner cannot be applied to the racquent unless you place it outside the pattern (e.g. under the last the cross string); it is forbidden to start a tennis match with a broken tring (if you accidentky break a string during play, you are allowed to continue with that racquet.
ssanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-27, 16:18   #3
Geoff

I'm sure I read somewhere that 'spaghetti stringing' was when you tube the string inside the grommet. If it is then all you are doing is giving the string some extra protection........not sure how that helps with extra spin etc....and I'm sure its not illegal in tournaments.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-27, 20:24   #4
jeffkupers

I read an article about a no-name guy in the 70's reaching the semi's of the US Open due to the spaghetti stringing. I have seen pictures, and it looks as though a guy has a big plate of spaghetti on his racket! Incredible texture and spin ability but I couldn't make out from the picture any form of order or pattern.

A few years ago, one of my best friends returned from Down Under where he was training with the Aussie Davis Cup team. He came back and told me how Woodforde or Woodbridge were using a 6.1 Pro Staff strung by skipping every other cross string. I strung one of my one 6.1's like this and was amazed at the control due to the excessive spin production! However, it broke quickly and required an EXCESSIVE amount of tension in the frame to keep the string bed stable. But I swear you could NOT hit the ball long! We could really tee off on the ball with no fear of losing control. Might be a fun thing to try if you're not scared of voiding your racket's warranty! lol
*creekmoretennis@sbcglobal.net
*(479) 782-5333
jeffkupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-10-27, 23:07   #5
BigBubba

Thanks.

I stung a Prince Graphite with two unintersecting stringing beds @ 60 #(half of the mains and half of the cross on each bed) and was able to generate tremendous amount of sidespin and underspin. It was a fun experience!

I observed the following while playing double this weekend:

- While serving from the deuce side, my sidespin serve could travel around the "returner's parner" and landed on the center T;
- While serving from the deuce side and aiming wide, my sidespin serve would hit the side fence every time;
- While serving from the ad side and aiming wide, my American twist would move even more to the left and hit the side fence;
- Topspin was adequate and would kick up more;
- Flat serve was hard to control;
- Hard to volley;
- Hard to control topspin western forehand and two handed back hand ground strokes. Maybe the tension was too loose.

Anyway, the string broke after less than one hour of play.
BigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-10, 23:18   #6
Glenn

I actually got to play with Mike Fischback's spaghetti racket a few weeks before he made some noise at the US Open!
He was playing in an American Express satelite tournament at the club where I was assitant pro.
The racket had the main strings bunched together, two or three to a hole and covered with teflon spaghetti. There were two sets of cross strings. They weren't woven. they just sat on either side of the bunched together main strings. The cross strings were tied together with nylon twine. they moved together as a single unit. It looked like an awful mess.
The spin you could get was absoluetly unbelievable! It was no problem at all to make the ball spin backwards over the net. The topspin was far heavier than anyone could get without the goofy stringing. It was outlawed for good reason. It totally changed the nature of the game. Fishback was a moderately talented collegiate player and he was beating players he stood no chance against without his "secret" weapon.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 00:12   #7
Glenn

Sorry. Wrote that wrong. 2 sets of main strings over bunched up cross strings.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-11, 23:30   #8
jeffkupers

Glenn, that's too cool! With the slow winter months on me, I'm going to have to experiment with some alternative stringing methods! I want to know how to do it, just to add to my long list of useless talents!
*creekmoretennis@sbcglobal.net
*(479) 782-5333
jeffkupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-09, 14:41   #9
DanN

One of the teaching pros I know has an old wooden racquet hanging on his wall that is strung in this insane manner. I will see if he'll let me take a couple of pictures of it and post some links if you guys are interested.

I haven't looked at it closely, but it definitely looks like it has 2 sets of crosses, and lots of grommet/tubing looking things on the strings in the hitting area.

Dan
DanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 22:24   #10
RCB

'Spaghetti stringing' is a gimmick these days and you can only torment old people with it.

If I find a joker trying that one on me, I'll make a fool out of them by under-handing them the serve here and there and giving them NO PACE.

Being they have to create "all the pace" as it is with a 'spaghetti strung' racket, I'll get to either run them around like an idiot or have the pleasure of watching their arm fall of creating everything in the shot for pace.

It's a win win for me if I see a 'spaghetti strung' racket against me.
You can torment the elderly, phisically aflicted or blind public court player with it though.
RCB is offline   Reply With Quote