Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2004-08-31, 18:07   #1
Hedges

Default Used Prince neos or new Stringway 200 ECO?

Hi,

I'm new to this community and have been reading everything here for a few days. What an excellent resource!

I used to string about 20 years ago using an ektelon. Burned out and stepped away from tennis for a couple decades and now I'm back and want to string my rackets and possibly some friend's rackets.

I'm torn between two machines to buy:
o A used Prince Neos 1000 (5 years old) --> $550 & no shipping (local)
o A new Stringway MS200 ECO with floating clips ---> $420

I'd have to drive 1.5 hours to actually see the Prince stringer, but the owner says its in very good condition and includes all tools, manual, etc. Here's a photo of it:

The owner bought it new 5 years ago for his son to use while playing high school tennis. What do you think? It look ok? Is it worth an extra $130?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks for the great web site.

--Hedges[/list]
Hedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-31, 21:22   #2
Jens
String Freak
Administrator

Default Re: Used Prince neos or new Stringway 200 ECO?

Thanks Hedges,

I would go for the new Stringway MS200 ECO because you will get better stringing results with it and you will have a warranty of a few years in case anything needs to be fixed. After getting used to the drop weight system it is just as convenient as a crank system. Also, the clamping system of the Neos 1000 has some disadvantages - you have to readjust the glide bars before starting with the crosses.
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-31, 22:12   #3
Jaypro

Hey Hedges, I own a Prince Neos 1000, and i think it is an excellent machine. I bought mine new, but if yours is only 5 years old it is practicaly new. i bought the neos after reading reviews of it online. also a buddy owns a shop near here and he said that a Neos was "the only 1 to buy" for a person not looking to string at a tournament or something. the only disadvantage i can see so far is there is not 360 degree rotation of the frame, but to compensate, they made the crank adjustable from side to side. the clamps are excellent also. very easy machine to use. do your homework, read up and make a good informed decision...good luck
Old 2004-09-01, 01:08   #4
Jay Cee

Hi Hedges,

Welcome to our discussion board, we always need some new victims, hope you stay long enough so that you can get to know Jaypro a bit better, if you follow his advice and take the Ektelon he may even take the time to teach you an ATW in 80 days. ( Kwick).

Of course being very convinced Stringway user, I would strongly recommend the Stringway MS200 ECO, the flying clamps are very good and the machine is quite light, easily portable, and can be dismantled in a couple of minutes. It is essentially a portable machine that you can take with you on a trip, and which will not take much place to store at home.

The Ektelon is a much bigger and heavier machine, but you don't need any sales pitch, you know the machine already. At half price it is unquestionably a good buy, and you can't go wrong with this choice. Despite some shortcomings which you have to allow for, this machine will last you a lifetime and you can depend on the quality of string job that you can do on it.

Both are interesting machines and for almost the same price, the choice is very difficult, just try to imagine which one is the best for your needs. Keep in mind one aspect, the Stringway can be evolutive, you can acquire a floor stand and even the truly excellent T.92 cradle with single action dual fixed clamps, which will upgrade your machine to almost professional standards, for a relatively moderate price.

With the Stringway you can adapt the intial machine to your future requirements. To use the Ektelon a light weight portable may be a little more difficult to achieve.

You are in the best place to make the right choice, which ever one you take, you cannot go wrong. Go for it mate, it will be good for you to get back to stringing some sticks, keep us posted.
Bye,

Stringway-Shop.eu
Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 02:52   #5
Jaypro

Dont mind Jay Cee Hedges, he gets obnoxious when he doesnt have anyone to pick on for a few days
Old 2004-09-01, 16:58   #6
Hedges

Thanks guys!

To summarize, both the Europeans recommend the StringWay for excellent, logical reasons that all apply to me. The portability alone makes it a better fit for me as I hope to play tournaments again soon (if I can find my legs ). I want to try some 18g strings, so being able to throw the stringer in the car would be perfect.

My fellow Yankee is sold on the Ektelon. His advice is to do my homework and make an informed decision.

Fortunately, it sounds like I can't go wrong. Both are excellent stringers.

So...I did what all good Americans do and made an emotional decision...

You see, the ektelon is a time-machine to me. Flashback to 1981...Borg and Johnny Mac are battling it out in what is possibly the greatest final in tennis history. I'm at the old pro shop working as an "assistant pro" (glorified court sweeper, stringer and cheap lesson). My boss (the real pro) had just given me my "bonus"...my first set of real gut strings to put in my rackets for an upcoming tourney.

So, I'm in the old pro shop, watching that awesome finals on TV, standing at the ektelon and carefully stringing my rackets...using a block of wax to prevent burning my new gut strings. I'm in heaven...and I'm naively thinking...this is just the beginning...one day soon, I'll meet Johnny Mac on the court and avenge Borg's defeat.

Oh yea...it's a way-back machine...and I gotta have it.

Of course, I don't remember how to string anymore...but thanks to you guys, I think I'll find everything I need here. I'll pick up the Prince Neos 1000 next week. Now to order up some strings

I'll direct my beginner stringing questions to Jaypro since he appears to be the true stringing professional here.

--Hedges
Old 2004-09-01, 18:20   #7
Jay Cee

Hey Hedges,

You and me will get along just fine, however if you need some real Pro plastic bags, take it up with JayPro. He's got them sourced.

Keep us posted, and good luck in memory lane.
Bye,

Stringway-Shop.eu
Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 21:10   #8
Jaypro

He's right...I am your guy for plastic bags
Old 2004-09-25, 16:42   #9
Hedges

Sorry to bump this thread...But I want to thank you guys.

Based on info gleaned from this web site, I've successfully strung 10 rackets in the last couple weeks. Last night, I strung up a recently acquired Prince Boron using ATW at 60/66 (higher crosses) with Prince Synth Gut w/duraflex. Can't wait to see how it hits (it was my father's racket).

I'm very pleased with the Ektelon; perhaps it's best I don't know what I'm missing by not having a Stringway. I actually did take the big ole ektelon to a tourney a couple weeks ago...so it can be done!

Anyway, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

--Hedges