Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2018-10-26, 19:04   #1
rebar

Default buying my first stringer

hi - I have never strung a racquet before but I want to buy a stringer for personal use (hard to get a racquet strung where I live).

I've pretty much decided to get either a klippermate or gamma-x2, whichever I can get at a reasonable price. I don't want to spend a lot.

My question is that sometimes I see a klippermate but no tools. Do I need the klippermate clamps or can I use some of those "flying" clamps. Does it make any difference which clamps I choose?

If I have to buy clamps separately I just want to know how to shop for them.

Thanks for any info you can offer!
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-26, 23:57   #2
ilovetennis12

If you're really into tennis, I recommend researching around for a machine with base clamps and/or 6 mounts. I was able to find a used gamma progression II dropweight and then 1-2 years later added a electronic wise 2086 to it. Best investment ever.

I believe a brand new one for klippermate is like $100-200 with tools. Tools are always important. Flying clamps should be fine like the brand stringways, which is a more heavy duty. All in all, it depends how often you play and what you want in a machine.
ilovetennis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-27, 17:02   #3
harvey@amgav

Default MiStringer

Absolutely consider a MiStringer. It is fast, accurate and easy to use. It has 6 frame clamps, 2 fixed stringing clamps, and a patented tensioner that never needs calibration. It's small and can easily be stored in a drawer. A real bargain for a state of the art stringer for personal use. Huge step from from entry level $250 stringers. It's only $379. to link: https://mistringer.com/
harvey@amgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-22, 15:24   #4
BiggerBlasterBanger

I just went through the process of buying my first stringer and from my hours and hours of research I arrived at the exact same result as what everyone else has said in the comments here for you: 6 mounts, fixed clamp, start with a quality dropweight and upgrade from there.

So I kept an eye on online marketplaces and found a (pristine) second hand gamma progression II dropweight, with fixed clamps and 6 mounts, for ú100.

The exact same stringer is on sale online for ú450, and I just don't have that kind of money, so for me it was a necessity to wait and buy second hand.
BiggerBlasterBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-02, 13:26   #5
djbonnell

Default new stringer

I'd look for a fixed clamp dropweight machine. Gamma's are nice, a little pricey but I'd beware of the less expensive machines, some may not hold up. Fixed clamp dropweights take a little longer to string (maybe 50 minutes per racquet with practice) but are faster than floating clamps. I recommend a dealer: Tennis Machines in St Louis (www.tennismachines.com). They are knowledgeable and capable and sell both new and reconditioned machines. They have serviced my Prince Neos and know what they're doing, they also sell all the necessary tools for stringing. When I was there last they had several reconditioned Ektelons pedestal lockouts that would be a bargain.
djbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote