Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2007-09-03, 01:31   #1
MalibuSky

Question String help needed for Junior Player!

Our 15 year old is a big hitter with a strong serve. Currently he is using a Babolat Pure Drive Roddick with hybrid Hurricane/Excel at 63lb. He is trying to hone in game and we have had some dissension at the tennis shop about his string choice...not to mention he is going through a set or two a week.

He recently heard someone talking about the Luxilon string...what do you think...and if so, which one? Any other opinions?

Thanks
MalibuSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 18:37   #2
tdowlin2

Knowing a bit more about his game would be helpful. Whats his level, how are his stroke mechanics, etc.? I'm a past college player and have used all different kind of string, and have recently been getting into hybrids. If you give me a better idea of his game type I'll be able to help you out a bit more.

As for a blanket suggestion, here is what I think.

Luxilon Big Banger ALU Fluoro (great string, crispy, lots of power, good control). It would be great in the mains with a soft cross such as Technifibre NRG. An alternative to the ALU Fluoro mains would be the ALU Rough, it's a thicker gauge, a little tougher on the arm, but if he's a solid player it should be no problem. Again, with a good cross to emphasize power would be the NRG or Technifibre X-1 Biphase.

Another good main would be the Babolat Hurricane Tour (great power, and it's hexagonal for additional spin). Roddick uses this with a nautral gut cross (but with an NRG or X-1, it would be great). Other good poly strings are the Signum Pro Poly Plasma, TopSpin Cyber Power, and Technifibre Pro RedCode.

If he's breaking strings left and right, find a good string that he likes and get them in reels. Eventually it'll save you money. Thats what I did in college since I'd be breaking strings every 4 days.

So check out the above strings in the database and see what you two think. As for Luxilon, there is a reason most of the pros use it, the only downside is its price and the fact that unless you break it in the first week, it'll transition into an entirely different feeling string very quickly. For the pros, this doesn't matter since they restring every day. Otherwise I'd say it's the gold standard for poly strings.
tdowlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 18:58   #3
MalibuSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdowlin2 View Post
Knowing a bit more about his game would be helpful. Whats his level, how are his stroke mechanics, etc.? I'm a past college player and have used all different kind of string, and have recently been getting into hybrids. If you give me a better idea of his game type I'll be able to help you out a bit more.
Thanks fo you suggestions...we will look into these string and try some different combos. My son is a strong 15 year old with a big serve, big forehand and uses a one handed backhand ( he likes to slice). From what I have seen, the cost of the Luxilon is not much more than what he currently uses....we do purchase reels but he just finished his last reel and figured this would be a good time tor try other options. Most pro shops push Babalot and Wilson so getting a little different perspective is very useful...Thanks
MalibuSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 19:17   #4
tdowlin2

Yeah, wilson and balolat strings are pretty good. But if you're a power player, with the exception of Pro Hurricane, neither company really offers the kind of string the can compare with Luxilon.
tdowlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote