Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Tennis Strings

Old 2013-06-26, 11:26   #1
Jonnyboy87

Default Hybrid string setup with heptagonal/rough polys

Hi

I string rackets at the club I coach at was wondering -can you have a hybrid setup with a heptagonal/rough textured poly for spin ( such as signun pro hextreme, tornado or genesis spin X) in the mains and a softer synthetic gut in the crosses? And would the there be any real benefit of doing this?

My initial thought was it wouldn't work due to the rough poly wearing out the softer synthetic gut too quick, but would like to hear some other opinions and advice on this.

Thank you 😄
Jonnyboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 05:14   #2
psp2

There are studies and controlled experiments that show that textured strings do not add in generating spin.
psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 08:39   #3
Jonnyboy87

Really,which ones? I'm trying out signun pro black line tornado at the moment and that adds lots of spin but not sure it will work in a hybrid so that's what I'm trying to find out!
Old 2013-07-03, 02:59   #4
GBtennis1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp2 View Post
There are studies and controlled experiments that show that textured strings do not add in generating spin.
I looked online for this info, and could not find anything about any studies/experiments and spin- And I am not sure I would believe it unless it was from a professional stringer, so If you can post a link, that would be great.

Anyways- I play Dunlop ICE, and play-tested the Tier One Tour Status, and I could tell a HUGE difference in spin from the heptagonal shape of Tier One to my normal Dunlop- If Tier One could get me more power, I would probably play with it, or Black Widow.
I have had high schoolers use Black Widow with Gamma Live Wire, and it does not wear down as quick as one would think.
GBtennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 14:08   #5
Jonnyboy87

Yes I must admit I'm skeptical about this until I see true results from a reliable source. I know some rough strings lose their 'rough' surface over time but as I've said previously I'm trying 2 heptagonal strings at the moment that 100% add more spin to my shots. I'm just interested in how they would work in hybrids
Old 2013-07-03, 17:49   #6
gulbisbighitter18

I talked a few weeks ago with someone in the business who knows a lot about strings... there is 2 types of spin potential:

1- low coefficient of friction between strings
2- high friction between ball and strings, which grabs the ball more.

That made sense to me as well, because MSV Heptatwist, Signum Pro Tornado, add a lot of topspin, so did the VIP Ball Basher string, but I preferred the Yonex Poly Tour SPIN, I have a couple of students using VIP triagular black string and they have some juice of their balls, plus it's softer than some other strings and produce great spin.
Old 2013-07-04, 14:53   #7
Niels

I'm currently playing with MSV Focus Hex (a hexagonal poly) in the mains and MSV Spin Plus (a synthetic gut) in the crosses: http://www.stringforum.net/strings.p...r=3128&count=1

It's definitely more comfortable than a full-poly setup and seems to also give me more feel. Durability isn't too bad either.
The main drawback is that the friction between the strings seems to be pretty high: the main strings don't always return in their original position. Consequently, I'm getting a little less spin.

After this I'm going to try a soft poly in the crosses and a more "spinny" poly (maybe the MSV Focus Hex again) in the mains.
Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 02:30   #8
quickshot401

yes i am currently using barb wire in the mains and n.vy in the crosses and it is much better that just playing all poly. the benefit to this is to give more comfort but you sacrifice durability
quickshot401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 00:30   #9
Racqueteer

I regularly string hybrids with MSV Focus Hex in mains and a soft solid core (Sigma Ultra Power) in the crosses. Only one person (out of maybe 30) didn't like the result. String mains at lower range of racquet and 4lbs higher on crosses. I will say that stringing the hex in crosses and solid core in mains wore much quicker.
Racqueteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 18:16   #10
Rumruner

Default I string many hybrids with a soft syn gut in the mains and Signum Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racqueteer View Post
I regularly string hybrids with MSV Focus Hex in mains and a soft solid core (Sigma Ultra Power) in the crosses. Only one person (out of maybe 30) didn't like the result. String mains at lower range of racquet and 4lbs higher on crosses. I will say that stringing the hex in crosses and solid core in mains wore much quicker.
I string many hybrids with a soft syn gut in the mains and Signum Tornado in the crosses. My clients love it. It does not last as long but that gives me more frequent repeat business.
Rumruner is offline   Reply With Quote