Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2007-12-23, 08:10   #1
hvdb
The stringing freak

Send a message via ICQ to hvdb Send a message via AIM to hvdb Send a message via MSN to hvdb Send a message via Yahoo to hvdb Send a message via Skype™ to hvdb
Default Stringforum symposium?

I know GSS is organising symposiums, but not everyone is a professional stringer and can afford to fly to Florida or other destinations around the world for such symposium (although if I had the time and money I would...).

Jens, is there an overview of the stringforum members per country? Maybe we could startup "mini" stringforum communities per country?

This way, each local community could organise community meetings locally and maybe invite guest speakers from time to time. This would of course require some volunteer work, but might be very usefull for stringing community in each country.

Hvdb
hvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 12:04   #2
Jens
String Freak
Administrator

In Europe, the majority of the members come from Germany, and there we have two regular community meetings each year plus several local meetings. But not the "symposium" kind of meetings - just tennis, fun, and talk. The next one will take place on February 23 near Heidelberg.

Here's the top 5 ranking of European countries from which the Stringforum visitors come (the vast majority coming from the US of course):

Italy
France
UK
Netherlands
Spain

I think one prerequisite for mini communities would be a higher number of active participants on the discussion board. We haven't reached the critical mass yet.
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 06:16   #3
BOSSMANBUDDYLEE

Jens, do you have any stats for the US stringers?
BOSSMANBUDDYLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 06:42   #4
Jens
String Freak
Administrator

You mean stats by US state or just the percentage US compared to Europe?
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 06:44   #5
BOSSMANBUDDYLEE

By states. Perhaps we can organize better locally in the US.
BOSSMANBUDDYLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 22:03   #6
Tim Strawn
Owner/Founder GSS

Thumbs up GSS Symposium 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvdb View Post
I know GSS is organising symposiums, but not everyone is a professional stringer and can afford to fly to Florida or other destinations around the world for such symposium (although if I had the time and money I would...).
Hvdb
First I would like to clarify that the intent of the GSS symposium is not only for professional stringers. In fact, it was never meant to be viewed as just an event for professional stringers. My original concept was to bring together a group of respected professionals who were willing to share and teach others in a symposium format.

Second, I realize that it's not easy for everyone to make it the the states for a symposium. I chose to locate the event on the East coast specifically to make it more convenient for travelers from the EU to attend the symposium. The goal is to make this an International event with stringers from around the world attending and sharing information. To date we have had stringers and seminar leaders from Brazil, Canada, Great Britain, France, Puerto Rico, British Columbia, the United States, and the Republic of South Korea.

It was asked in another thread if there would be a 2010 symposium and the answer is YES!

Tim Strawn

www.grandslamstringers.com
www.gssalliance.com
Tim Strawn is offline   Reply With Quote