Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2008-10-01, 00:11   #1
LPShanet

Default Gamma ELS upgrade (especially versus Wise 2086)

Does anyone have experience with the ELS upgrade? I'm especially curious how it compares to the Wise 2086 Electronic tension head. Aside from which machines they are compatible with (which isn't an issue in my case), please describe any differences/preferences. Thanks!
LPShanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 19:37   #2
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

I'm curious as well about this one. I didn't know Gamma had an ELS upgrade? I know they have an ES upgrade I've seen advertised for $499.
In general I have had great luck with my Gamma 5003 6pt, but of course I can't leave well enough alone and I have researched upgrading to an electric CS pull system.
That said, the Gamma ES is a rotational device where the Wise is linear. I know Gamma makes machines with a linear system, but haven't seen it available for upgrade.

So, if it's between the upgrades I know about the Gamma with a rotational gripper, or the Wise with a Linear pull system, I'd go with the Wise.

However I've used Gamma's support a few times and have been completely satisfied, and I have heard a few horror stories regarding Wise's support.

Well, there's my 2 cents.... bout all it's worth.
Good luck, and I hope your post get's a few more responses.
loudriver23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 17:55   #3
LPShanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudriver23 View Post
I'm curious as well about this one. I didn't know Gamma had an ELS upgrade? I know they have an ES upgrade I've seen advertised for $499.
In general I have had great luck with my Gamma 5003 6pt, but of course I can't leave well enough alone and I have researched upgrading to an electric CS pull system.
That said, the Gamma ES is a rotational device where the Wise is linear. I know Gamma makes machines with a linear system, but haven't seen it available for upgrade.

So, if it's between the upgrades I know about the Gamma with a rotational gripper, or the Wise with a Linear pull system, I'd go with the Wise.

However I've used Gamma's support a few times and have been completely satisfied, and I have heard a few horror stories regarding Wise's support.

Well, there's my 2 cents.... bout all it's worth.
Good luck, and I hope your post get's a few more responses.
Thanks for your input...much appreciated. The ES upgrade is the same thing as the ElS upgrade. I think it was called ElS in an RSI article, but Gamma refers to it as ES.

When I spoke to the USRSA, they gave very high praise for both the Gamma and Wise units (as opposed to the Eagnas upgrade), and thought either would be a good buy. So I'm trying to find any "tiebreakers" as it were.
Old 2008-10-07, 20:52   #4
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

Well, I would first look into why you want to upgrade your existing machine. Do you do enough business to warrant the extra expense? I find with a properly calibrated crank machine my results to be very consistent. I have often thought of this upgrade myself, but I only string my wife and my rackets. Once in a while a buddy needs to get one strung but I'm not stringing several a day. I suppose if I got so busy that I needed to upgrade to something both faster and more Hi-tech I would sell my existing machine and just buy a new stringer that met the specs I required.
As for breaking the tie between the 2 upgrade choices you asked about, I'm afraid I can't offer anything definitive, and certainly not based on personal experience.
Good luck.
Old 2008-10-08, 22:31   #5
LPShanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudriver23 View Post
Well, I would first look into why you want to upgrade your existing machine. Do you do enough business to warrant the extra expense? I find with a properly calibrated crank machine my results to be very consistent. I have often thought of this upgrade myself, but I only string my wife and my rackets. Once in a while a buddy needs to get one strung but I'm not stringing several a day. I suppose if I got so busy that I needed to upgrade to something both faster and more Hi-tech I would sell my existing machine and just buy a new stringer that met the specs I required.
As for breaking the tie between the 2 upgrade choices you asked about, I'm afraid I can't offer anything definitive, and certainly not based on personal experience.
Good luck.
The reason I want to upgrade it is because my existing head was slightly damaged. I figured that while I was replacing the head, I might as well upgrade it to electronic. My results with the old head are very consistent, but I liked the idea of having a constant pull setup. I don't do a lot of volume, but the frames I do are all for high level players. I'm not sure that electronic is any faster, but it is more current than just replacing the crank head on the machine.
Old 2008-10-14, 19:35   #6
loudriver23
Tennis Shagger

I can't believe someone with direct experience with these products hasn't chimed in yet! But now that I see the issue more clearly, it sounds like you are a prime candidate for a head upgrade. There's nothing mechanically wrong with the machine, clamps etc.. just the existing head being damaged the $400-500 for an upgrade makes more sense than dropping 1200+ on a new machine.
I suppose if you use the old PC rule that if the repair costs less than half the cost of replacement then repair, if not it's cheaper in the long run with replacement.

Come on fellow forumites... help a brother out!!!