Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2004-08-14, 16:22   #1
moosryan

Default drop weight vs. others

Hi everybody. Just to give a bit of background before my few questions. I'm almost 15 years old and a fairly serious tennis player (i play 2+ times a week and tournaments, also hoping to play for my high schools time in the spring). I seem to break my strings at least once a month, and for this reason i would like to stop paying labor charges and get a stringer. Obviously, since a stringer is a lot of money to a 15 year old, I would like to do as much research as I can. Here is my first question:

I spent the summer stringing on the dropweight machine at my camp (which I learned how to string on, of course, I was taught badly so I'm trying to learn better technique). This was an awful machine, it was made by a company i think no longer exists and cannot have cost more than 100 dollars. also the clips constantly broke. for this reason I sort of have a natural opinion that all dropweight stringers are bad. The question is, can you do a good stringjob without being unbelieveably meticulous on a dropweight, or is it simply worth trying to upgrade to a crank or electronic (I was thinking possible the silent partner estringer).

My final question would be...which would you guys consider a better buy, the sp eStringer or a dropweight stringer in that pricerange. If you would say dropweight, please reccomend one.

Well, I know that's a lot of questions and stuff to handle, but I would appreciate the answers a lot. Thank you very much, Sam.
moosryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 16:57   #2
moosryan

Default Re: drop weight vs. others

Wow, I should just mention now that after looking at their website, some of the laseribres look really nice. But not prices are listed...Is there a place to find the prices?
Old 2004-08-15, 01:34   #3
FEND

Send a message via ICQ to FEND

The price range I think would be out of your range. The machines are also sold under the Stringway name. Since I'm in the same position as you (including the age roughly + 2 years) I checked out the prices. There are some prices of it in the machine reviews section.

The prices in Australian dollars are killer crazy. AUD$900 for a 2 pt machine. So do some research on the price

Old 2004-08-15, 02:37   #4
moosryan

Well the goal here is simply to make something of a profit and since i'll spend at least 1300 bucks on strinjobs and string in the next four years...i have a decent budjet. I could probly even go up to the 400s maybe. i know this a lot of info guys, but the help would be much appreciated.
Old 2004-08-15, 07:14   #5
Jay Cee

Moosryan,
Sam,

In the postings which compare Silent Partner and Laserfibre you have the full article, with the prices, here is the thread :

http://www.stringforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=262

Quote from this my posting :

For me the best machine is from LASERFIBRE, a drop weight with excellent flying clamps would cost about US$400, which is probably too much for you, but you can keep a machine all your life, and the pleasure you get from stringing on a good machine is really something else.

Unquote

If you look carefully at these machines on the LAZERFIBRE website (or on http://www.stringway.com/start.html - model M.60) you will notice that the cradles are interchangable. If for example you are initially only interested in stringing your own racquets you can buy the 200 ECO with the light weight, 4 point mounting, travel cradle with flying clamps, this is a very good personal stringing machine, probably the most accurate flying clamp system available, and it cost about US$400.

If later on you want to string for others, or you want to upgrade the system, you can buy a <dual double action clamps cradle> with 5 point mountings (or even better with single action clamps, look at model ML.100). This will, at least, double the price of the machine, but if you are stringing often enough it is worth every cent of the investment. Finally, if you want to make it even better, take an optional floor stand with the tool tray, so that you don't have to put it on a table. It looks really pro, and is much more comfortable to string with.

The price of all of this will still be less that an Ektalon Neos 1000, and you have three machines in one : a free standing machine that will give you the means to string almost as well as a Pro Machine, the same in table top if you want to travel with it in a car, and finally a light weight travel machine that you can put in your bags if you take off for a tournament by plane or train etc.

Hope this helps you with your choice, it is better to start with a basic model of a Stringway (Laserfibre) and upgrade it as required, than to take a cheaper machine and try to trade it off later when you want something better, in the long run it can cost more and be less satisfying.

There again a lot of stringers believe that what make a machine really serious is to have an electric motor on it. That's a point of view that I do not share, but if you do go this way (SP's are fine) be sure to put it into the right power point, otherwise you can burn out the motor. It's a bit more difficult to burn out a drop weight.

Bye,

Stringway-Shop.eu
Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 17:17   #6
M0rgan77

What machine do you use Jay Cee?

------------------------------------
M0rgan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 09:35   #7
Jay Cee

@M0rgan77

Good question Sam, but personal, so I will give you a personal answer.

I have several machines, each has a good reason to be in my shop, plus one that is just mine, for my own use when I feel like it.

My principale machine is a Tecnifibre SP44, which is more than 10 years old, has strung over 50,000 racquets and still works perfectly. I have never had an important problem with this machine and yet it have been transported and used in all sorts of conditions for years. An incredible workhorse. It has 2 single action fixed clamps on rails, each clamp can cover one side of the frame, vertically and horizontally and are rotaional at 360░, which means that they can clamp a string at any angle.

In my shop I have 2 other machines, a Stringway MS.200 which is a unique machine using a long tungsten spring as a tensioner, this system is foot operated with a pedal. The cradle is 5 point mountings with dual single action clamps working on a similar principal to the SP44, they are not as good as the Tecnifibre, but are more than sufficient for what they are required to do, much better than most other clamps on the market.
It is much easier to transport than the Tecnifiber SP44 and I generally use this machine when I am on the move. It requires more physical effort than the electric machine, but if I'm honest I probably enjoy stringing more on the stringway because I really get the feeling that I am in full control of everything that I do, but after 10 racquets, you really feel much more tired than with the electric machine.

I also have a Stringway ML.100 drop weight machne on a stand. Generally I teach players how to string on this machine. It has exactly the same cradle as the MS.200, and if required I can remove the cradle with a partially strung racquet, replace it on the machine with another cradle and do an immediate string job on a second racquet, this can be very usefull sometimes when something very urgent has to be done.

I love the Stringway drop weight system. It is fantastic, the weight is automatically blocked at the 14,00h position when there is no string in the jaws, then once a string is clamped by lifting the weight up, the blocking system is released and the weight arm is free to take up the tension. Once the string has been tensioned and clamped, you lift up the weight arm up to 13.00h position, the jaws open up and you can remove the string, without the string in the jaws when you lower the arm, then it is blocked again at 14.00h position. This avoids having to lower the arm to the table, then have to raise it again each time you tension a string. That is exactly what makes drop weight machines a pain in the ass. With a stringway ML.100, this doesn't happen. The machine is a real pleasure to work with and personally it is my favourite machine. The best players that come to me for string jobs generally prefer me to string their racquets on the drop weight, they say that the tension is more constant and it holds better for a longer time. I am sure that this is correct, this is largely because of the phenomena of a drop weight which over stretches the string when the weight goes down, then is pulled back up by the string. I believe that Silent partner tries to imitate this with their electic motors, that has to be a good point for them.

Finally, I have a small personal stringing machine from Stringway which is based on the M.60 travel stringer. It weighs about 10kgs, has a great flying clamp system that works really well, and I really enjoy stringing on this little one, it was specially made for me using a couple of original ideas that I had asked Stringway to include, my idea is to develop a light weight machine that can be used by Pro-Players who want to string their own sticks on the Tour, it looks promising. Just for the hell of it, I can fix it on a stand and put a pro-cradle on it and it is just as good as a ML.100.

So as you can see, I am a convinced Stringway stringer, and have been for about 6 years now, and I know the factory and the developers very well. So if I recommend these machines, it's because I believe in them. They are definitely of a different concept from all other machines and certainly the best quality/value for money stringing machines on the market.

I hope that this answers your question.
Bye.

(PS. In the States Laserfibre is the distributer for these machines, their model references are different, but you can compare the offer on the 2 sites for the equivalent models, both sites are worth a visit.)

Stringway-Shop.eu
Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 15:17   #8
Double-fault

JC
I'm still saving my fund for the Laserfibre.
Half way there.

One day............ Just one day..... soon.
Old 2004-08-29, 22:56   #9
M0rgan77

More on the same topic. I get my racquet restrung once every month and I string racquets for my local tennis club on their old machine. I am looking to buy the best machine I can get for the smallest price. Most of the money I make from my part time job is going towards coaching and tournament entry. What maching should I get?
Thanks
------------------------------------
M0rgan77 is offline   Reply With Quote