Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Tennis Strings

Old 2009-06-14, 03:52   #1
chadakin

Default Luxilon Big Banger Original or Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power?

I am new to Stringforum.net, but I have already found the site to be very informative and useful. I was hoping you guys could help me out with something. I am a relatively advanced intermediate player who hits hard topspin forehands from the baseline. I have a hard time keeping nylon strings in my rackets, which is why I have gone to polyester strings. At this point, I would like to give Luxilon a try because I have heard good things about their products. I have narrowed my choices to two.

I am trying to determine which of the two, Luxilon Big Banger Original or Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power, is the better string. The Luxilon Big Banger Original has a better overall rating according to the ratings database on this website, but the Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power scored higher in every category the two are found together in (durability, control, tension stability) according to the String of the Year 2008 Survey (one of the polls on this website).

So, do the overall ratings more accurately evaluate the two string choices or should I put more stock in the scores found in the String of the Year 2008 Survey? I would appreciate it if I could get your opinions and/or experiences regarding these two choices.

Thanks,
Chad

Last edited by chadakin; 2009-06-14 at 06:56. Reason: string manufacturer's name misspelled
chadakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-14, 03:55   #2
armsty

First off. Luxilon. Secondly, for the extra money, if you can get ALU Power, offers a little bit more. Personally I don't have the funds required so I get Original. I like that, never tried ALU power.
armsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 17:24   #3
chadakin

Thanks for the reply.
Old 2009-06-25, 12:32   #4
hvdb
The stringing freak

Send a message via ICQ to hvdb Send a message via AIM to hvdb Send a message via MSN to hvdb Send a message via Yahoo to hvdb Send a message via Skype™ to hvdb

You might also consider some cheaper alternatives that play "similar" than Alu power.

You could give Topspin Cyber Flash (same color as alu power) or MSV focus hex (available in lot's of colors) a try. Both very good polys at very reasonable price compared to Luxilon...

If you have the money you could also have a look at Weiscannon Silverstring, one of the newest co-polys that receives very good feedback and is in the same price range as Luxilon...
hvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-25, 19:19   #5
chadakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvdb View Post
You might also consider some cheaper alternatives that play "similar" than Alu power.

You could give Topspin Cyber Flash (same color as alu power) or MSV focus hex (available in lot's of colors) a try. Both very good polys at very reasonable price compared to Luxilon...

If you have the money you could also have a look at Weiscannon Silverstring, one of the newest co-polys that receives very good feedback and is in the same price range as Luxilon...
I am actually trying exactly what you suggested. I tried BB Original and I am currently using Cyber Flash in a full bed; I actually like the Cyber Flash better. I will also be trying the Cyber Flash as part of a hybrid in the next week or two. Thanks for the reply.

Chad
Old 2009-06-26, 02:03   #6
witt4three

I couldn't decide which one to pick either. I want to get one of these strings in the mains, but to lower the cost per job what should I string it with in the crosses? Thanks.
witt4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-29, 00:30   #7
chadakin

I decided to go with Topspin Cyber Flash 1.25 in the mains and Gosen OG-Sheep Micro 17 in the crosses. I haven't tried the hybrid yet, but will do so as soon as I get the Sheep Micro in the mail.

Chad