Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2011-01-30, 20:54   #1
ClubHoUno

Smile Small Luxilon Savage Black review :)

Hey, I tested the lime green Luxilon Savage in december and now bought a 200 meter reel of the black Luxilon Savage.

I only use copolys as cross strings in hybrrids with VS Nat gut in the mains, so my review is based on that setup.

I will try to compare Luxilon Savage Black to my favorite copoly Alu Rough and also to Alu Power:

Feel & comfort: Luxilon Savage feels softer and more gentle than Alu Rough and Alu Power - even though the comfort rating on www.bigbanger.com suggest that both Alu strings should receive a 10/10 in comfort and the Luxilon Savage only a 7/10 - to me the Luxilon Savage feels a good deal softer and more comfortable than the Alu Power and Alu Rough strings.
Luxilon Savage however does not have the crisp feel I get from Alu Rough and also from Alu Power. Alu strings just have this unique crisp feel, which is unique for these strings - it's hard to explain crispness, but Alu Rough is the most crisp feeling copoly I've ever played with.

Spin: I get better spin with the Alu Rough than I get with the Luxilon Savage, but not much more. I would have to say the Luxilon Savage and the Alu Power smooth are close when it comes to spin production.

Power: The Luxilon Savage provides less power for me than both the Alu strings did. Especially Alu Rough gives me a nice boost of extra power.

Control: I really feel the Luxilon Savage gives me very nice control - maybe even better than what I get from both the Alu strings.

Tension maintenance: Here the Luxilon Savage Black really shines. I feel it holds tension a great deal better than both the Alu strings.

Look and touch: The Luxilon Savage looks round, but actually has a 6 sided shape. It also feels round, so the edged shape is really hard to notice.
Alu Rough is clearly a stiffer string than Luxilon Savage.

Luxilon Savage - Black VS Lime Green: The Lime Green feels a bit stiffer than the Luxilon Savage Black, some may say the green actually feels a bit crisper, but I would just say it feel stiffer, not crisper
I prefer the look and feel I get from the Luxilon Savage Black, but Lime Green may suit high spin players, who intend to use the Savage in a full job.

Overall I still prefer Alu Rough over Luxilon Savage - and I have a reel of both, but Luxilon Savage in m view is a very good new copoly string from Luxilon with very nice tension retention.
Old 2011-01-30, 21:39   #2
FIT410s
tennis bum

did you create an official review on the review side?
Old 2011-01-30, 22:11   #3
ClubHoUno

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIT410s View Post
did you create an official review on the review side?
Yes, but Jens (The siteowner) wrote to me and told me he wouldn't find it fair to relelase my review under the Savage string only, because I only did the test in a nat gut mains and poly cross hybrid, so I though I just would post it here

I've stopped using poly mains and full poly because I simply like the VS nat gut mains hybrid too much, so would never think of using a poly in the mains again.

My game is more all round based, I don't grind at the baseline - so full poly is not something I test anymore.
Old 2011-01-31, 00:35   #4
FIT410s
tennis bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubHoUno View Post
Yes, but Jens (The siteowner) wrote to me and told me he wouldn't find it fair to relelase my review under the Savage string only, because I only did the test in a nat gut mains and poly cross hybrid, so I though I just would post it here

I've stopped using poly mains and full poly because I simply like the VS nat gut mains hybrid too much, so would never think of using a poly in the mains again.

My game is more all round based, I don't grind at the baseline - so full poly is not something I test anymore.
great review btw.

im biased against any lux as they are overpriced, same thing with nike shoes. i wont touch either with a 10 foot pole
Old 2011-01-31, 00:52   #5
brusaquarti
ERSA MRT

Are not very much in agreement about your review Clubhouno even if in hybrid with your is difficult to make a comparison. I am testing by the black all mono and after an hour of game has lost 2 points DT!
brusaquarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-31, 00:56   #6
FIT410s
tennis bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusaquarti View Post
Are not very much in agreement about your review Clubhouno even if in hybrid with your is difficult to make a comparison. I am testing by the black all mono and after an hour of game has lost 2 points DT!
IMO any poly would do this
Old 2011-01-31, 01:01   #7
brusaquarti
ERSA MRT

mantis power polyester no
Old 2011-02-01, 18:09   #8
TennezSport
USRSA*MRT GSS Alli

Thumbs up Thanks........

Nice review ClubHoUno, I did not know that Lux had released a Black version of Savage. We will have to get some ourselves to check it out. It's about time that Lux started to round out their line a bit more. Thanks again.

Cheers, TennezSport
TennezSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 20:36   #9
brusaquarti
ERSA MRT

Yes Tennez , I am already testing the black version and after two hours of game it seems that takes very well the initial tension, see!
Old 2011-02-04, 22:33   #10
ClubHoUno

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennezSport View Post
Nice review ClubHoUno, I did not know that Lux had released a Black version of Savage. We will have to get some ourselves to check it out. It's about time that Lux started to round out their line a bit more. Thanks again.

Cheers, TennezSport
You're welcome

I really think Luxilon has started to realize that they new other polys besides the cheapish Adreanline and the very expensive Alu Big Banger line - and Savage lays just in between the cheap Adrenaline and the expensive Alu Big Banger and it seems Savage holds tension pretty well for a copoly, once the initial tension loss has kicked in. So if you take the initial tension loss into consideration, you can get 12-15 maybe even 20 good hours out of the Savage copoly, if you don't break it before that of course