Classifieds: Wanted
Downloads
Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Stringing Machines

Old 2012-01-25, 23:46   #1
Trophyman

Default Looking at buying a stringer, need suggestions.

Greetings all,
I am a racquetball player and would like to start restringing my own, and perhaps a few friends, racquets. I've never strung a racquet, but from my research it shouldn't be too dificult to learn. Can someone point me in the right direction here? My budget is up to 1,300. Thanks for any help.
Trophyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 14:14   #2
Jack2010

I would recommend the Gamma X-ELS from TennisExpress.com. It is currently going for $749 + $55 shipping. It sells for about $1100 everywhere else. It is a tabletop electronic constant pull machine with a lot of good features. Amazing deal right now as they may be closing out that model.
Jack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 07:05   #3
dgaterell

I would got for a Prince Neos 1500. Built like a tank, last a very long time, swivel clamps so you can easily string fan shaped patterns as found on some racketball rackets.
consider teaching yourself to string squash and tennis as well, and advertise yourself. get paying for that machine!
dgaterell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 17:45   #4
sunil

Default Prince P-100

I have a P-100 in Oklahoma City I'd be willing to sell - pneumatically-driven, works great. Rail clamps, 2-point mounting. $300.
sunil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 20:46   #5
KerryR

Why not try a small, affordable drop-weight machine to start with-- find out if you like stringing as well as clarify what you should look for if/when you decide you want more?

There's nothing at all wrong with the efficacy of small machines like the Gamma X-2 or Klippermate. They so cheap they pay for themselves in just a few jobs, so there's no real loss if you decide to quit, or, instead, decide on a larger machine. The quality of the job is far more related to the person doing the stringing than the machine, as long as the machine solidly mounts the racket, the clamps don't slip, and the tensioner is accurate. K'mates and X-2's fit the bill nicely, and, in some cases, more effectively than machines with more bells and whistles...
KerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 22:15   #6
docterry
PTR - MRT

I would avoid a drop weight machine as you will get a different tension each time that you string unless you can drop the weight parallel to your bench each time you pull a string. If the weight is above the parallel line you will have too high a tension, and if it is below the parallel line, the tension will be lower. Each string will be at a different tension.
docterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-21, 23:27   #7
KerryR

Quote:
Originally Posted by docterry View Post
I would avoid a drop weight machine as you will get a different tension each time that you string unless you can drop the weight parallel to your bench each time you pull a string. If the weight is above the parallel line you will have too high a tension, and if it is below the parallel line, the tension will be lower. Each string will be at a different tension.
Here's what's most often said by others on the issue:

While the above is true, it's true only to a negligibly small degree as long as the bar is within approx. 1.5 inch above or below parallel-- a 3 inch window, which is pretty easy to do by eye. Some folks put marks on the bar to ensure they're within this window, or closer.

"The physics of drop weights" on the TW forum is worth a look if interested-- it illustrates the math and mechanics of why this isn't really a concern, particularly given other variables in the system.
Old 2012-02-22, 12:03   #8
docterry
PTR - MRT

Correct to a point. What is left out from your report are the variables; length of string, construction of the string and human error. It would be nice to know the source of "others?"
Old 2012-02-22, 15:19   #9
KerryR

That's the point: length of string, construction, human error, variance in grommet friction, variance in the angles the strings turns through each grommet when they turn 180*, the angle from the exit to the tensioner, heck, temperature and humidity, all account for more variance in tension than minor misalignment of the tension arm. That's the key term here-- minor; it's very easy to get within the 3" window, and quite easy to get within 1/2", and not that difficult to be nearly perfect if you draw an index on the drum. The latter would be unnecessary.

I've found that my drop weight provided more accurate and consistent results (as measured string by string with a tension meter as well as SBS measured with a Stringlab on the finished job), than my 'more profesional' lock out. Constant pull is probably a better way to go than a LO for consistency and repeatability, particularly with the more finicky full poly jobs, especially at the low tensions that are becoming more popular. But, quality of the electronic constant pull machines in a similar price range as drop weights is questionable, with many folks on forums questioning the accuracy and consistency of the low end machines (again, compared to drop weight costs), some even with graphic data to back it up. Given the variables, drop weights are still a great solution-- just make sure the arm is close to parallel, which is really easy. The biggest drawback is the comparative lack of speed and ease. If speed is the primary concern, drop weights are indeed the weaker solution. But then, if speed is the primary goal, accuracy will take a hit as well, unless the stringer is particularly good. If cost is no object, and you know you'll always have electricity when you need it, then electronic machines are indeed a better solution. If speed is the only concern, LO's are still a decent solution.

If the angle of the arm is still a concern, there's always the Stringway drop weights, and the Eagnas clone.
Old 2012-02-23, 18:52   #10
docterry
PTR - MRT

If speed is the primary concern, drop weights are indeed the weaker solution. But then, if speed is the primary goal, accuracy will take a hit as well, unless the stringer is particularly good.

A drop weight is good if you are stringing a few frames a month for yourself. I string from 60-100 a month and speed is important. I don't understand your above statement. What do you mean by accuracy? I have been using an electronic (my 3rd) for over 25 years and it is as accurate as you would want. I have also strung at the US OPEN and other tournaments. Only electronic machines are used. Why? I can tell you from experience that pros are exacting and settle for nothing less.