Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2012-04-16, 13:42   #1
NRG

Default Solinco Tour Bite - Suitable cross or full bed only?

Hi guys,

I recently had Tour Bite 18 gauge strung full bed at 53 lbs, and I found it a little stiff and not as comfortable as a hybrid. Then I had it strung as mains at 53 lbs with a multi (Gamma Professional 17) cross at 55 lbs, and the Tour Bite seems to be "sawing" through the multi at a dangerous pace!

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good cross for Tour Bite based on your experience, or if Tour Bite works better as a full bed (but at lower tensions?). Thanks for your insights!
NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-02, 01:33   #2
bugs

We have been using the Solinco strings for a couple of years now. We have settled on Tour Bite in the mains and Barb Wire in the crosses. Tension at 42lb. Tension started at 56 and ended up at the 42lb.
A friend is using a full bed of Tour Bite at 30lb and loves it. That is not for everyone though.
Another combination used was TB mains and 1.35 Pro Stacked in the crosses. The Pro Stacked did cut out eventually with the TB but was not too bad.
In general we are realy liking the Solinco strings, and racquets...........

Hope this helps.
bugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 05:51   #3
Fuji

Just giving you my input...

I used TB strung @ 38lbs in my Aerostorms recently and it was absolutely fantastic. I would probably string a few lbs lower initially as there were a few signs of just the slightest stiffness still in my arm, but other then that it was great!

-Fuji
Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 06:13   #4
NRG

Thank you, bugs and Fuji, for your inputs. Much appreciated!

It seems lower tensions are the way to go with Tour Bite, esp. on a full bed. The lowest I've strung is 50 lbs on Yonex RDX500HD (18x20, full bed of TB), and even then it could go even lower for less stiff feeling.

Although TB surely works well as a full bed, it seems to hybrid relatively well with syn. gut (Gamma w/ Wearguard, 17g, white) as cross strings. I tried TB@ 52 lbs./ Gamma syn. gut@ 54 lbs. on Yonex RDS001, and it did not feel as stiff as I thought it would! Even with this hybrid, I think the tension could be lowered further--albeit not as much as a full bed of TB.
NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 07:10   #5
KBT1

Interesting...
I find the TB and "stiff" NOT to go together.
There are MANY popular polys that are much stiffer than the TB.
I have been using the TB for past 2 years at 53/51 and absolutely love it and I have previously had a bad case of tennis elbow and some shoulder issues. The racket I am using has the flex of 55, so, this is probably helping, too.

It is natural that 18 gauge poly will be easily cutting through the Multi/gut. Try 17g.

I have also used the TB in a hybrid form with the VS Gut (bot, crosses and mains) and did not like it. So, back to the full stringbed at 53/51 (24/23 kg)
KBT1 is offline   Reply With Quote