About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2003-06-19, 22:00   #1
Mongolmike

Default One string or two?

Hello folks,

New poster, and a beginning stringer. From what I've read, this looks like a very nice forum to get help from. Thanks!

My main question is: my racquet manufactor says I can string my racquet using either one string, or two (and I have the stringing info for either method). I've been practicing on an old racquet using just one string, and other than the "mess" of having 38' of string flopping around, I was wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage to stringing with either one or two strings.

Secondly, on this old racquet, when transitioning from the mains to the cross strings, I've broken the string twice. On the mains, I'm to skip holes 7 and 9... no problem. But the 7 hole is for the cross strings, and the 7 hole is now partially covered by the main string going from hole 6 to 8. Is there a "tip" or a technique used to be able to squeeze the cross string into the 7 hole (or any hole for that matter) when that hole is tightly covered by the taut main string?

Thanks in advance!
(Also, it looks like I posted this in the incorrect forum, Tennis Strings instead of Racquet Stringing. Sorry about my oversight. To the moderator: can you move this to the appropriate forum?)
Old 2003-06-20, 14:40   #2
jeffkupers

Default Re: One string or two?

Mike,

The two or one piece stringing method is a preference thing. However, I'm a 5.0+ player that is extremely senstitive to tension loss. I've found that two piece stringing maintains tension better than the one piece. My theory behind this is that the one piece string is one long piece. The stretching and relaxing of this one piece is more exaggerated than on two shorter pieces. Of course, to see the benefits of the two piece tension retention, you have to be tying a very good knot. If you're not comfortable with knots or unsure of your ability with tying them, then one piece may be the way to go for now.

Also, Don't forget to check your racket for good tie-off holes. Some frames are OK to string two-piece yet may have small, obstructed tie-off holes making more than two knots difficult. Take that into consideration.

And lastly, for your question about a tight fit. Always cut the tip of your string at a pronounced angle. This in itself can help to get into some tight holes. If still having trouble, I take razor blades and slice the end inch of the string in half and try again. If using a soft multifilament, however, it may be more difficult. If that's the case, take your awl, and gently press down on the string impeding the hole, while trying to slide the string into the hole.

And also, check to make sure the grommets on that racket are OK. They shouldn't break on the beginning of the crosses. You may have a faulty grommet allowing the string to touch the graphite frame. That will pop it either while stringing, or very soon after the job is finished.

Email me if you have questions. I'm a Master Racket Technician and a certirfied stringing instructor. I'll be glad to help.
*creekmoretennis@sbcglobal.net
*(479) 782-5333
jeffkupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-20, 22:27   #3
Mongolmike

Good stuff Jeff... thank you!

About the one vs two string.... I have to admit (and now I am curious) how the local pro shop has been stringing my racquet. Guess I never checked! Probably a single length.... so maybe I will try two strings to see if I can tell a difference.

On the same topic, other than your years of stringing experience, and proficiency with your stringing machine, would you recommend any type of gauge or meter to measure string tension after a stringing job to verify string tension?

Also, simply using a razor blade to get a nice sharp angled point is a very good common sense type answer I was seeking! Thanks, and I'll give it a try!

Happy hitting!
Old 2003-06-21, 06:39   #4
kmmatney

I use the angled string tip + awl combination to get past impeding string. Works OK, although it can still take a few tries to get the string through.

I've been in the habit of raising the string tension up by 5 lbs on the last string before tying off the knot. I wonder if other people do this as well.

I prefer 2 piece stringing simply because I can take a little break after the mains are done. It also allows you to experiement using hybrid strings.

I bought a Gamma tension device, but the results vary based on string type and other factors, so it hasn't been a reliable gauge for me. For now, I just write down the tensions and string type I use and keep them in a log book. When I restring, I can adjust the settings on my drop weight stringer if needed. I have no idea how "accurate" my stringer is, but its very consistent and reproducible.
kmmatney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-23, 10:20   #5
rasinton

On the issue of getting a string into a hole covered by a taut main string, I have found the following helps.....
<ul>
Cutting the string to give a 'point' is essential
Dipping the end of the string in a bit of washing up liquid (or similar) can help ease the string past the main. Can get a bit messy!
It is often the last main that is the problem. So, if you can, thread the cross string before finishing off the main. This avoids the problem
Moving the main string aside, using a screwdriver, is often the only way. As you've found out, be VERY careful not to nick the string as that's curtains! (Having 3 hands also helps, at this point!)
Using a pair of long-nosed pliars to push the string through helps. Grip the string to leave just a short length (3mm) to push through and work in small steps. This helps to reduce the chance of the string buckling as you try to force it in. If this happens then snip off the bent bit and start again!
I've had to resort to counting to 10 when the frustration rises. However, the feeling of elation and relief when it goes through is great!

Hope this helps!

rasinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-06, 22:29   #6
GMiddie

I have just started stringing, and right away found the issue of the blocked hole situation. I tried to "move" the string that was blocking the hole, but it was pretty taut and wouldn't allow me to get the new string into the blocked hole. I eventually found that coming from the outside of the frame, I could pretty easily get the awl into the hole. I then simply fed the string into the hole while the awl was still in it, keeping the tip of the string and the tip of the awl touching one another as I retracted the awl and pushed in the string. Worked amazingly well. Has anyone else tried this and had the success that I found doing it this way?
GMiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-08, 14:29   #7
GBtennis1

You got the string through, while the awl was still in the grommet?! You just need to use the awl to make the hole bigger. I put it about half way in, and give a good circular motion, and splice the string at an angle as mencioned, and just keep trying, without stretching the grommet much.
GBtennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-08, 16:26   #8
GMiddie

No, this was a case where the hole size was fine, but the tightened string that crossed the outside of the hole was basically blocking the hole from the outside. It was not able to be "pushed" upward to give room for the string to pass through the hole, but would allow the awl to slip past it into the hole. I then was able to put the awl into the hole from the outside so that the awl tip got to the inside of the hole. The I held the string against the awl's tip and began to retract the awl as I pushed in the string. I kept them tight to one another until the string came through the hole and past the other string which has been blocking the hole's exterior. Really worked well in this case. I guarantee I will try this again when the situation arises.
GMiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 15:24   #9
Sandy737

Always 2. Reduced tension loss and if you make a mistake towards the end could be expensive with 1 length.
Sandy737 is offline   Reply With Quote