About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Tennis Strings

Old 2005-02-23, 20:38   #1
abiriax

Default new combination: klip natural gut with alu power rough

Hi, i'm trying something close to a federer combo of natural gut mains with alu power rough crosses, i was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if you guys had any of your sagely advise which you wished to pass on to me about this.
Old 2005-02-24, 10:00   #2
kwick

Default Re: new combination: klip natural gut with alu power rough

Hi Abiriax,

I've been experimenting with Bow Brand Championship NG 16L in the mains (53 lbs) with Wave Tennis White Shark (1.20mm mono-filament) in the crosses at 57 lbs. Standard JayCee 2 piece stringing rules and it is wicked. I play the N-Code n-Six Tour 90.

I was concerned about the durability but it has turned out not to be the case. In fact it's lasting longer than a pure NG stringbed.

I stuck with the tension rules from our guru in this format and really glad I did. I've got the power I was looking for with that little bit extra control from the mono crosses. It's lasting a good while and providing the longer playability of NG so value for money has been better than I had hoped.

I chose the thin White Shark mono as my cross (instead of a rough) because it has a smooth surface and I didn't want to exagerate the sawing effect and risk cutting through my mains too quickly. Federer doesn't care about this as he cuts them out after a few games. The White Shark is also a mono with good feel and I get all the ball effects I need and more with this combo.

I have to say that I'm not a big string breaker so it might not work for everyone but it certainly has for me. In fact, I wouldn't even say I had to compromise anything. I'm getting longer than expected, quality playing time, all the power, control and effects that I want and it's affordable. Well cheaper than pure gut anyway...

JayCee made a great point the other day in relation to quality playing time from your strings. There's no point having something that doesn't break if it isn't performing. This combination performs for me longer at a level I will accept and it's the best I've found so far. The quest goes on I guess.....

Good luck with yours, Cheers,

kwick

PS - I've also tried it with a synthetic multi-filamant in the mains (RAB Sensor fibre) and it works well but nothing quite like the NG power and feel.

kwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-24, 19:21   #3
abiriax

thanks man, i also use a ncode 90, (but i've put about 40g lead weight on it), which means that i need to string at high tensions too keep control. I'm gonna use the old jc method on this hybrid and report back. what does 65lbs for mains 67lbs for crosses sound like?
Old 2005-02-25, 09:15   #4
kwick

Hi,
If you like high tensions in a relatively small head, who are we to disagree. JayCee recommends keeping 4lbs difference and I've been using that and very pleased with the results - Your choice.
You've added 40g so you are playing with close to 400g ? Wow, I'm not going to challenge you to an arm wrestling match....
Does you arm get tired in a match or do you notice any problems moving the racquet head around quickly ?
I heard (not confirmed) that Federer adds 50g to his frames but he's got a right forearm like Popeye (his left is like my sister's - kidding Rog....). Great result and comeback yesterday in Dubai against JC (they're everywhere ) Ferrero.
cheers,
kwick.
kwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-30, 20:28   #5
abiriax

hi, well i've always played with heavy rackets so i'm kinda used to it now. a little update on the string situation, there is simply way too much power in the string bed right now, so i switched to a more traditional hybrid of kirchbaum supersmash on the mains and technifibre championship on the crosses. my problem when playing with the strings was that they gave great power and control but on my toutch volleys (which are some of my very best shots) i suddenly starteed clearing the baseline very frustratrating i can tell you. i think i might try stringing gut at some of the ultra high tensions i've seen some of the pro's use but right now, i've got some string that is actually working.