Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2005-12-10, 04:42   #1
acer

Default Preventing movement of strings after stringing

I was wondering if anyone could answer a quick question for me. I don't do alot of stringing but I do string my own racquets. I read that you when you string that you should always straighten the mains so that they are nice and straight before you tighten them. I do this but the mains on my racquet always seem to move out of place the first time that I use my racquet after stringing it. A friend of mine who strings racquets said that you have to let the racquet sit for 24 hours after stringing it before you use it. He said this is what is causing the mains to go crooked. He said they have to settle for 24 hours. Is this correct?

Please let me know

Thanks

Acer
acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-10, 14:14   #2
squashguy

Default Re: Preventing movement of strings after stringing

Quote:
A friend of mine who strings racquets said that you have to let the racquet sit for 24 hours after stringing it before you use it. He said this is what is causing the mains to go crooked. He said they have to settle for 24 hours. Is this correct?
At first I was going to say your friend is full of it, but I think it depends what type of string. One some soft strings (poly i think) the mains can actually imbed in the crosses a bit, and letting it sit for a day might help that. With other strings, you can't avoid string movement. You can string the crosses a few pounds higher and this will prevent some string movement.

As for straightening before tensioning, i think you mean crosses, not mains. Straightening crosses is good practice for stringing.
squashguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-10, 20:14   #3
acer

Hey Squashguy

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did mean the crosses, not the mains. I straigten them before pulling them. I was stringing with what I consider soft strings-Wilson Supreme. They are a multifilament and are kind of mushy. I guess overall, it can't hurt to just let them sit for 24 hours to be safe.

Thanks again

Acer
acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-12, 06:25   #4
Ed G

This particular myth about letting the racquet sit for 24 hrs before playing probably originated with Tennis magazine. A couple years back they did an article about stringing and this was one of their suggestions. After the article appeared, a number of stringers (myself included) contacted the USRSA to find out where Tennis magazine came up with this notion. The USRSA contacted all the people mentioned in the article and NOBODY could remember saying anything of the kind.

Unfortunately, Tennis magazine does publish articles about stringing from time to time. I usually wince when I read them, because I know how hard it is for the tennis playing public to believe that the printed word can be erroneous.
Ed G is offline   Reply With Quote