Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2012-11-25, 03:06   #1
mitchkroener

Question Finding a suitable tension: Please Help!

Greetings All,

So this may seem fairly basic to some of you string heads, but I was hoping to get some feedback on tension choice. I am a 4.5 level lefty with a big serve and one-handed backhand and I have been fiddling around with different tensions, trying to find what's right for me, but I have been having some difficulty. *When I switched to the prostaff 6.0 85s (from the babolat aeropro) I saw a rapid improvement in both my accuracy and power. *The extra weight and flexibility is just what I need, as I tend to go long often with lighter racquets and thus I end of shortening my swing and creating less power. *So, finally to my point, I have been using a hybrid of Babolat VS on the mains and various poly strings on the crosses (the type of poly doesn't seem to make a bit difference to me, unless it loses tension rapidly), and I've used ALU power, Big Banger, 4g (seems slightly better than the rest) Hurricane Pro, RPM, and several others. *So, I have been stringing the gut at 56-58 and the poly at 54-56. *For about a week, this feels great and I am able to hit through the ball with accuracy and power. *After two weeks of play however (16-18 hours) I am finding myself less able to place the ball and to produce power, and the ball flys on me often. *As a result I shorten my swing which leads to other problems. *When I test the tension, I find that it has dropped to about the high 30s-low 40s during those two weeks. *Do you think I should try stringing my racquets tighter? *Use different strings? *Add weight to my racquet (it's about 12.7 ounces, but never feels to heavy to me and I have thought about adding lead)? Basically, I am not concerned with having a string bed that gives me power or makes the ball go longer, I would like to have access to spin and good placement so that I can feel confident taking big cuts at the ball. *Let me know what you guys think, I would be grateful for any input.

Cheers,

Mitch Kroener
mitchkroener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-27, 15:44   #2
Babolat

use string savers, they help a little bit, fif you are able to, buy luxilon 4g and string it in the low 50's or high 40's. Should give you around 1.5 * 2 more stringing play time.
Babolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 21:33   #3
sovertennis

It seems to me that the useful string life for that set-up would be 10-12 hours, based on how you've described you game.
sovertennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, long, loss, strings, tension