Classifieds: Wanted
Downloads
Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Stringing Machines

View Poll Results: Which Machine is better for the Options and cost?
Flash 965 @ $599.00 0 0%
Comet 11 @ $595.00 0 0%
Plus 6500 @ $595.00 3 75.00%
Other 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-12-13, 18:13   #1
Shoeseller

Default Wise Tension Head on which Machine?

I recently added a wise tension head to an old Tennex 4000 Machine with Sliding Clamps. I did so after purchasing new clamps as the old ones slid while tensioning.

I am not in for $500.00 for the electronic tension head and am pleased so far with the ease of use. The thing is I am looking to now upgrade my old machine to a new one that can handle fan patterns. I am not looking to go any higher than $600 for the machine since the crank will be replaced with the 2086 tension head.

I am looking at Eagnas since they have the features I am seeking with pricing to match.

The machines I am looking at purchasing are Plus 6500 @ $595.00, Comet 11 @ $595.00 and Flash 965 @$599.00.

I live in NJ and shipping will be about $55. Anyhow, does anyone have any recommendations from those 3 or any other similar machine for the price?
Shoeseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 19:20   #2
BallJacker

Forget the Flash 965, it's a copy of a Gamma 5003, with cone-locks.
It's a toss up between the Plus 6500 and a Comet 11, the 6500 has newer 6-point mounts. Though the Comet 11 has curved base clamp rails. Both have lever action base clamps.

Check out Craigslist in your area, I might have seen a couple good deals in the Tri-State area on used machines.
BallJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 19:49   #3
Shoeseller

Default So your choice is the Plus 6500

If I read you correctly, you recommend the Plus 6500. But you mentioned the Comet 11 as having curved base clamp rails. Is that a better option. At this point, either will be better than what I have now. The slide bars are not fanned pattern friendly. Either one of these will be. I will most likely go with the 6500 since it has the newer 6 point mount.

Thank you for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallJacker View Post
Forget the Flash 965, it's a copy of a Gamma 5003, with cone-locks.
It's a toss up between the Plus 6500 and a Comet 11, the 6500 has newer 6-point mounts. Though the Comet 11 has curved base clamp rails. Both have lever action base clamps.

Check out Craigslist in your area, I might have seen a couple good deals in the Tri-State area on used machines.
Old 2009-12-13, 20:02   #4
BallJacker

The curved rails are a nice look, but more asthetics than function. I'm thinking of getting a Plus 8000, which has the same mounts as the Plus 6500.
Old 2009-12-19, 17:23   #5
Dano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeseller View Post
If I read you correctly, you recommend the Plus 6500. But you mentioned the Comet 11 as having curved base clamp rails. Is that a better option. At this point, either will be better than what I have now. The slide bars are not fanned pattern friendly. Either one of these will be. I will most likely go with the 6500 since it has the newer 6 point mount.

Thank you for your advice.
Hey Ralph-Speaking from experience, you might want to consider the Plus 6500. I had a Comet for a while with a Wise. Seemed like the clamp bases didn't slide real smooth sometimes. I attributed this to the curved rails. Although, on an Alpha Equinox I had, the clamp bases would slide like silk on the curved glide rails. I think this is more a testament to the quality of the machine, though.
Old 2009-12-22, 01:51   #6
Shoeseller

Hi all,

I bought the Plus 6500 and added the Wise Tension Head. Its such an upgrade from the tenex 4000. So far, I am happy with it. I went to home depot an bought springs for the action base clamps, what a difference!

Thank you all for your feedback. Believe it or not, the machine has paid for 1/2 the cost since last week.

Thanks again for all your guidance.

Happy Holidays everyone.
Old 2009-12-22, 09:01   #7
BallJacker

Congrats! I'm glad you took my advice. I'm considering the Plus 6500 as well. What were the springs you got for the base clamps?

BTW what do you charge for a string job to pay half the cost of your machine?
Old 2009-12-23, 01:30   #8
Shoeseller

Default Stringing Machine

Quote:
Congrats! I'm glad you took my advice. I'm considering the Plus 6500 as well. What were the springs you got for the base clamps?

BTW what do you charge for a string job to pay half the cost of your machine?
I charge $25-$30 per Stringing job including the string, stencil logo, head tape and/or teflon tubing if needed. I did 10 racquets in the last week. The string detetermines the cost. If you bring your own string the string job is $15.
Old 2009-12-23, 01:49   #9
BallJacker

I wish I can get $25 a stringjob. Realisticly you are making $15 to $20 per job, if minus you string and other costs. Too many garage stringers in my area, so I can't go over $10 + string cost. Though I do offer free stenciling and tubing ( if necessary) as part of the job, as well as a cleaning of the racket. I average 5-10 a week, and have manage to put aside some money for future upgrades.

I'm curious about the spring from HomeDepot you mentioned. What was that for?
Old 2010-01-09, 17:24   #10
Shoeseller

Default Springs on Clamps

Sorry for the delayed response. I wend to Home depot and bought sprigs and placed them on the clamps. I have attached a picture of the clamps, one with a spring and one without. You will notice mow much closer to the stringbed the clamps are. Also, somehow it allows my to move the clamp with one hand without sticking. When the springs were not inserted, the clamps would stick a little.

Anyhow, I find it easy to use.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
I wish I can get $25 a stringjob. Realisticly you are making $15 to $20 per job, if minus you string and other costs. Too many garage stringers in my area, so I can't go over $10 + string cost. Though I do offer free stenciling and tubing ( if necessary) as part of the job, as well as a cleaning of the racket. I average 5-10 a week, and have manage to put aside some money for future upgrades.

I'm curious about the spring from HomeDepot you mentioned. What was that for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0974.jpg (92.2 KB, 36 views)

Tags
advice, machine, question, tension