About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2010-10-31, 23:05   #1
ATM17

Default Cross string question

Hi guys,
A quick question regarding cross strings and passing them through difficult or blocked grommets.

My main difficulty at the moment is passing cross strings (especially quite flexible ones when I'm doing a hybrid) through a grommet which is difficult because the main string makes it difficult by blocking the grommet vertically (at the end for tie-off) if you can see what I mean. A friend of mine has been using his awl and passing it through the grommet first and then passing the cross string and has found it makes it easier but I was thinking that if you accidentally nick the main string with the awl it could lead to a pretty easy break? What are your opinions and suggestions to help passing the cross through the difficult grommet at tie off? I'm usually alright now passing them through grommets blocked or covered by other strings now.

Thanks in advance!
ATM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 03:00   #2
kkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM17 View Post
Hi guys,
A quick question regarding cross strings and passing them through difficult or blocked grommets.

My main difficulty at the moment is passing cross strings (especially quite flexible ones when I'm doing a hybrid) through a grommet which is difficult because the main string makes it difficult by blocking the grommet vertically (at the end for tie-off) if you can see what I mean. A friend of mine has been using his awl and passing it through the grommet first and then passing the cross string and has found it makes it easier but I was thinking that if you accidentally nick the main string with the awl it could lead to a pretty easy break? What are your opinions and suggestions to help passing the cross through the difficult grommet at tie off? I'm usually alright now passing them through grommets blocked or covered by other strings now.

Thanks in advance!
Enlarge all the grommet holes you need to before mounting a racquet. You can also use pliers to help push string through a tie-off grommet.

Last edited by kkm; 2010-11-01 at 03:02.
kkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 05:29   #3
KendraB
Silver Hair

KKM, an awl will work fine, but you need to be careful with it. Watch the tip of the awl as it comes out from the rim. If there is a main string it might pierce and you need to go under or over it, use your fingers to pull up or push down on the string as you work the awl. A pathfinder awl is worth the $25 or so that it costs, and I think every stringer should have one. This tool allows you to get a string through a blocked hole when you are pushing the string from the inside of the rim out and you can't use an awl. Other than that give the string a sharp point and use pliers, bent-nosed if you have one of those.

Last edited by KendraB; 2010-11-01 at 05:30. Reason: typo
KendraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 11:21   #4
Aerogel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraB View Post
Other than that give the string a sharp point and use pliers, bent-nosed if you have one of those.
This is the way I push the string through the blocked grommet. It's easy to do and, until now, I never had problems with that...
Aerogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 13:20   #5
kkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraB View Post
KKM, an awl will work fine, but you need to be careful with it. Watch the tip of the awl as it comes out from the rim. If there is a main string it might pierce and you need to go under or over it, use your fingers to pull up or push down on the string as you work the awl. A pathfinder awl is worth the $25 or so that it costs, and I think every stringer should have one. This tool allows you to get a string through a blocked hole when you are pushing the string from the inside of the rim out and you can't use an awl. Other than that give the string a sharp point and use pliers, bent-nosed if you have one of those.
KendraB, as you point out, a regular awl will do if used carefully. Stringers must avoid piercing or crushing the string with the awl. But some pathfinder awls are a bit fragile, and I don't like the thought of using awls while stringing, except a blunt awl if needed for a little straightening after stringing. IMHO it's best practice to enlarge holes with an awl before mounting and stringing the racquet, give the string a sharp point and use pliers if you need to push the string through a tie-off.
kkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 15:51   #6
bigmatt

I personally don't like pathfinder awls because the opening that pases through the grommet can be quite sharp, and could lead to string breakage easier than an awl. The best solutions I've found are to open th ehole with an awl before stringing, use bent-nose pliers to push the strign through, and/or take your cutters or an Exacto knife to "slice" the end of the string down very slim and long, making it easier to pass through the grommet before pushing through.
bigmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-03, 22:31   #7
Luminous
Stringer

A trick i learnt of a pro stringer, If you know which holes it is that you are going to struggle to pass the strings through, use a thinn peice of string, and then when you string the main the will be blocking that hole when you come to string the crosses, loop the thin piece of string round it as to allow you to use the thin peeace of string to pull the main up and pass the cross string through, if that makes sense, if not i'll take a picture! Very handy for stringing badminton racquets.
Old 2010-12-11, 17:16   #8
jester911

Making the point as sharp as possible as described above. Also something else that works for me is dipping the point of the string in a bottle of regular car wax. It gives it a bit of lube and it slides right through.
jester911 is offline   Reply With Quote