Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2006-09-08, 23:32   #1
dakota

Default Best stringing machine for newbie

I am now wanting to buy a stringing machine. I've gone for many years without one, but I am now thinking of making the plunge. I want to experiment with different strings, different tensions, and different rackets. Obviously, this is not practical if you don't own your own stringing machine, especially since I prefer natural gut. My local shops charge 60 to 65 for a new string job using natural gut, and it takes me about 1 hour between two trips to the shop, first to drop off the racket, and another to pick it up. So, stringing time is not critical, since I am looking at an hour of my time between dropoff and pickup to start with! I don't plan to string any rackets other than my own, although I may change my mind if it starts to look like an attractive sideline.

I figure I will be stringing about 10 to 12 rackets per month (unless I go into the business, which is unlikely.) I've never strung a racket before, so I would have to learn. I prefer natural gut at about 64 lbs. I would like to experiment with various combinations of strings and tensions, along with various rackets. I am leaning towards the basic Klippermate, because it is so inexpensive and comes with a wealth of information on stringing various rackets. (I've got a bunch of old and new rackets that I will want to string.) I've read that many other machines, including the Laserfibre MS200TT and MS200ECO may be much better. I am not real concerned about the cost of the machine, since I figure I am going to save at least $300/yr by stringing my own rackets, but I don't want to spend more than $1000. I would prefer to keep it to about 1/2 of that, but I am flexible. My thought is to buy a Klippermate, because of the training material, learn the ins and outs, and then move up to a better machine. But, is this smart, or should I just buy a better machine now, (but with whatever training?? since I know nothing about stringing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, along with resources for purchasing the various machines.
Ed
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 01:19   #2
tennistim

Dakota, I would highly recommend the Alpha Revo 4000. I think it is the biggest bang for your buck. Thier customer service is outstanding also. Good luck!!
tennistim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 15:04   #3
dakota

Let me correct my post. I meant 10 - 12 rackets per year, not per month.
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 16:48   #4
gotwheels

Dakota, Tennistim makes a good recommendation, The Alpha Revo 4000 is a geat machine for the price. Do you know the type of machine currently used for your racquets - spring tension lock out or electronic (load cell) constant pull? The Alpha Revo would be a lifetime lock out style machine for you, with great customer service. It can also be upgraded with the Wise electronic tension head. Laserfibre would offer you a lifetime constant pull (even though it is not electronic which can be a benefit) machine.

Focus on a good mounting system and a good fixed clamp system. If you like the KlipperUSA instruction, order their manual for ~ $3. See if there is a CS/MRT in your area that will give you lessons. Utilize the on-line tutorials (here) and videos (Silent Partner) There are cheaper machines (i.e. Eagnus. etc.) and you get what you pay for. Someone new to stringing may not recogize the deficiency in these cheaper stringers or know how to fix a problem.

Remember, anyone can string, but good stringing is a science and an art! Good luck.
gotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 04:11   #5
Tennisplayer01

I'm selling an Gamma X-2 Drop Weight machine. It's great for starters!
Heres a link for more info!
http://www.stringforum.net/board/sho...0272#post10272
Tennisplayer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 15:45   #6
SpinDog

I recently bought a Gamma Progression II 602FC drop weight machine which I like a lot. It's less than $500 and I like the constant pull aspect of it's operation. It's simple to use, built well, and accurate.
SpinDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 01:29   #7
lacrito

Hi
I'm thinking on buying a new stringing machine my budget is short but and I'm concerned about quality of the machines, I have read in diferent post that eagnas is poor quality, also I've read that 6 point mount system are better but overrated, some say that if the tension is high probably the racquet may distorsion or brake, is it really better the 6 pt and is it really worthy to buy one. I'm thinking in string oversized racquets for myself and probably one of my friends.
what you can tell me about the gamma x-2? the price is 159 and it's 2 point mounts. I found the hawk 26 and it says it has a two point mounting system with 2 extra points providing 4 extra supports (six point inside mounting system) and the price is 149. Which one would be best?

Thanks in advance for the information
lacrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 04:15   #8
SpinDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrito View Post
Hi
I'm thinking on buying a new stringing machine my budget is short but and I'm concerned about quality of the machines, I have read in diferent post that eagnas is poor quality, also I've read that 6 point mount system are better but overrated, some say that if the tension is high probably the racquet may distorsion or brake, is it really better the 6 pt and is it really worthy to buy one. I'm thinking in string oversized racquets for myself and probably one of my friends.
what you can tell me about the gamma x-2? the price is 159 and it's 2 point mounts. I found the hawk 26 and it says it has a two point mounting system with 2 extra points providing 4 extra supports (six point inside mounting system) and the price is 149. Which one would be best?

Thanks in advance for the information
I can’t speak very much to what you ask but I can say that I’d recommend a 6 point mounting system. The 6 point systems really hold the racquet very securely and in my opinion subject the frame to less stress. There are also times when a 6 point system makes life a lot easier, like when stringing Head CrossBow frames. If you try to string one of these frames on a 2 point you’ll have to follow a much more complicated stringing pattern. It all depends on how you’ll be using the machine. Most of the time a 2 point will be just fine but over the life of your machine the difference in cost between a 2 point and a 6 isn’t that much. I generally look to the professional machines to see what features they have and then try to find a “best fit” in an affordable machine for my own use.
Old 2009-04-13, 05:01   #9
lacrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDog View Post
I can’t speak very much to what you ask but I can say that I’d recommend a 6 point mounting system. The 6 point systems really hold the racquet very securely and in my opinion subject the frame to less stress. There are also times when a 6 point system makes life a lot easier, like when stringing Head CrossBow frames. If you try to string one of these frames on a 2 point you’ll have to follow a much more complicated stringing pattern. It all depends on how you’ll be using the machine. Most of the time a 2 point will be just fine but over the life of your machine the difference in cost between a 2 point and a 6 isn’t that much. I generally look to the professional machines to see what features they have and then try to find a “best fit” in an affordable machine for my own use.
Thanks
What do you think about eagnas? is it good quality? what do you think about the six point inside mounting system of eagnas hawk 26? it's a cheap one 149, there's another one the silent partner swing but the price is 199. or is a better option a Six-point suspension mounting system like the eagnas flex 160 that is 219?
thanks
lacrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 15:05   #10
SpinDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrito View Post
Thanks
What do you think about eagnas? is it good quality? what do you think about the six point inside mounting system of eagnas hawk 26? it's a cheap one 149, there's another one the silent partner swing but the price is 199. or is a better option a Six-point suspension mounting system like the eagnas flex 160 that is 219?
thanks
Can't say from personal experience but the buzz around the forums is that Eagnas has poor customer service. I've heard mostly good and some bad about their quality but I've never used one so I can't say either way. You'll save a lot of money stringing your own racquet so that alone, in my book, justifies spending a bit extra to get what you want. Don't let price, within reason, stop you from getting the features / quality that you want. Whatever you choose you'll have for a long time. Make sure it's something that you're going to be comfortable with a year or two from now.