Holabird Sports

Go Back   Stringforum.net Board > Strings/Racquets/Stringing > Tennis Racquets

Old 2009-02-28, 21:45   #1
Jamie1984

Question Recreational player bought the Babolat Pure Drive and disappointed

Hello to everyone here

I m lost

I play tennis , quiten often for like 2.5 yrs ,(recreational) first i had the
-Prince Red O3 racket, it was very difficult , but i just bought a racket without thinking , but with time i liked the racket, but smashed it

2nd racket

-Prince White O3 - was to difficult to play after 6 months playing tennis , i started to get a little more feel and loved the control, but not enough power.. than , i broke the racket (angry)

3rd racket Babolat NS Drive ,I think i played with 6 diffirent strings and got now Wilson Sensation(25kg) on it , but it isn't perfect but good good racket for me , but a little less control if your swing is getting better (FH/BH)

4rd racket was just a ridicilous choice Head Extreme Team , it's like i m thaking easier rackets all the time , i have also Wilson Sensation on it (25kg)
The racket offers a lot of power,especially the service, but my shots are getting better so i have to hit the balls very flat .. i think it's a to big (107inch) so less control

My newest racket is the Babolat Pure Drive and i just bought the racket without playing it and put a Babolat Xcell 1.30 (26/26kg) on it .. and it feels a little dead , a difficult racket , but the Prince White 03 is also a pro racket , maybe it is because of the strings, i don't know , i don't have a good feeling.

I know i m sounding like an idiot .. so my question is , is the racket too difficult or maybe i can adjust it with putting on some good (beginners) with a little power/comfort strings on it ...

I still own the NS Drive/Head Extreme Team/ but i made progress but i don't know abbout the Pure Drive is the Xcell too difficult for recreational players and what is a good choice for The PD..

Please help.

Greetz Jamie.
Jamie1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 19:17   #2
jazzyfunkybluesy
Wild Man

Jamie,

Before going to another racquet experiment with different types of strings to make sure its the racquet you dont like not the strings which can hugely affect the racquets playability.

My friend has used a Pure Drive for years and will not change to another racquet. It is a somewhat powerful racquet so in my opinion you need control and spin out of the strings to help keep the ball in. I recommend MSV hex focus 1.10 at tensions of 60 mains and 54 crosses. This will give you awesome spin, control, and comfort due to the looser cross strings.

If you know you are through with Babolat and want much more control try some of the Wilson racquets. The Kblade Tour is a great raquet if you want a lighter racquet and I really like the Prostaff 88 if you want a heavy stable racquet. There are many others to try if these do not suit you.

Dont give up
________
Honda RC161

Last edited by jazzyfunkybluesy; 2011-01-26 at 07:07.
jazzyfunkybluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-01, 20:06   #3
Jamie1984

Don't give up
Thnx for the response , i think it might be the strings , because when i had those 2 Prince rackets , i only played with the original strings that were on the racket and some Pacfic, than becuase i liked the NS drive , and i was getting better with my shots , i chose to buy the PD , but i never played with the Xcell Permium , i just saw great comfort and bought the strings also the tension , On the NS Drive i played with multifeel 24.5 kg overall ( don't know how many pounds that is), and with the Wison Sensation , but the string feels to thick , on the babolat it's now 26kg/25.5kg and it feels like.. very hard , no comfort and no power .. is that possible , i'll try the MSV , but which string comes close to multifeel with a little more power ( but still comfort )

Thnx , sorry for my english
Old 2009-03-04, 19:11   #4
Rumruner

Default Maybe it is not your racquet

It may not be your racquet but your opponent sending you balls without pace. I have a Babolat Pure Drive plus and like it; however, i never use it against a light hitter. The Babolat is very sensitive to string types. I am currently using Signum Plasma Pure 1,18 in the mains and Wilson NXT 17 in the crosses
Rumruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 00:31   #5
Rjgregory
MN Tennis

Default Pure Drive

I have a Pure Drive and I enjoy the power I can get out if it. The Pure Drive is a pretty stiff frame so the feel on it is not the best. If you are complaining about it lacking feel I would be hesitant to put MSV Hex in it. Poly's are often not the best strings for feel. If you are going to use a hybrid putting a synthetic is the mains will give you more feel. Poly's in the main are better for durability and synthetics in the mains are better for playability. Hope that helps. I would suggest using a gut or synthetic gut for the entire racquet.
Rjgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-20, 18:51   #6
clamch0wder

You probably know this, but it's always an advantage to demo the racquet first.
Instead of diving right into it and buying it.
clamch0wder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 06:28   #7
JPtennis

"Feel" is a damn tricky thing. Many folks buy tennis rackets because they seem to feel good--and look good--in the tennis shop. Then the person gets out on the court and actually figures out that it is too heavy or light when they start to play. The problem isn't the strings, it is the frame. Through lots of experimentation, I now have a sense of what general flex, balance, swingweight, and overall weight combination works well for my game. As I consider rackets within these parameters, I think of "feel" as how it responds when I simply hold it in my hands and flick it up and down or swing it through the air. More and more, this is an essential evaluative tool for me when thinking about a frame. For example, when I moved to leather grips the added weight changed the feel of my rackets and I had to consider whether it was for the better or not (generally, it was because I like a head-light frame). By now focusing on "feel" before I ever hit the ball, when I step on the court I already know that I like the heft of the frame. Then when I start actually hitting balls I then can fully concentrate on whether I have good power on serves and ground strokes as well as good touch on short shots and spin shots. I bring this nuance up, Jamie, because like so many of us you are experimenting with a range of frames and there are lots of variables for you to think about when considering what you like and don't like. For me, rackets in the 325-335 gram range that are about 8 or 9 points head light and that have a 4 1/2" leather grip "feel" just right. Frame flex and string choice/tension come into play once I start hitting. As I play around with different strings, I already know I like the feel and can concentrate on whether the strung racket actually plays well for me. So as you move forward, think about which frame you think really feels best in your hands and then start to think about string type and tension.

Last edited by JPtennis; 2009-03-21 at 06:35.
JPtennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 08:32   #8
Jamie1984

Thnx , for all the comments , the best frame was the Prince O3 Red / White
Best String: Probably The Technifibre Multifeel.. but short in power
Old 2009-03-24, 01:35   #9
Mongolmike

I've got a Babolat Pure Drive and it does have a lot of power... after a lot of experimenting with various strings and hybrids including Babolat hybrids, the best string for my game with this racquet is the string they recommend... the Babolat Pro Hurricane. However, if you've got any "tennis elbow" you will not like the feel of this string. I don't have any arm problems, so I can live with it because this string works really well with this racquet in my opinion. If you haven't tried this string yet, give it a shot before you give up on the racquet.

That being said, this past weekend I tried a new racquet a friend was demo-ing... and the I ordered it... the Boris Becker S.E. with Klip Scorcher string. Heavier racquet and the power was there, the control was amazing and the feel of the ball on the strings was awesome. I like a heavier stick, and I used a Volkl a few years ago and liked it, but I've never used Klip strings... but I really enjoyed this combination. I'm looking forward to delivery and experimenting a bit with the Klip strings and other brands. Not sure if its the stick or the strings, but the ball seemed to cushion in the strings.
Old 2009-03-24, 07:21   #10
Jamie1984

I'm not having a tennis elbow, I'll try maybe the Gamma Live Wire XP 16 or the Luxilon 123, btw 60lbs how many KG is that?