Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2010-10-22, 19:50   #1
RonSon

Default POG Multifilament Strings

I have been using a POG midsize for years and recently started having elbow problems. My racket stringer suggested multifilament strings, so I bought NXT 17's. They lasted five or six hours before breaking and then I tried AlphaGut 2000 which lasted even less time. The problem is both sets seemed to really help my elbow problems and I had a really good feel of the ball with them. I previously used Prince Topspin Plus strings for many years. I like the multi's better than the Topspin, but the multi's I tried don't last at all. I also lessened the tension on the Topspin and that didn't help my elbow nearly as much as the multi's. Any advice?
RonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 22:12   #2
Jens
String Freak
Administrator

Try a multifilament in a thicker gauge (16 or 15L). Will normally not affect comfort but increase durability.
Also take a look at the ratings database to find durable multifilaments (ignore the Aramid strings in the search result): http://www.stringforum.net/stringsea...mf=1&details=2
Jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 22:15   #3
somma

Couple of things you might try:

Switch to 16 Ga. They typically will last longer.

Look for a multi that has a solid core and outer layers of multi strands. Something like Head FiberGel "control". This is a soft string, easy on the elbow and yet is a bit tougher than a pure multi.

Natural gut...expensive but your elbow is worth it.

Good luck in your search

Somma
somma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 22:22   #4
RonSon

Another couple of suggestions I got on another site is to use string savers and also to use a co-poly string along with the multifilament and string the co-poly between 35-40. I think my first try is to find a single more durable multi before going the hybrid route. Thanks for the info!
Old 2010-10-24, 00:37   #5
RonSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by somma View Post
Couple of things you might try:

Switch to 16 Ga. They typically will last longer.

Look for a multi that has a solid core and outer layers of multi strands. Something like Head FiberGel "control". This is a soft string, easy on the elbow and yet is a bit tougher than a pure multi.

Natural gut...expensive but your elbow is worth it.

Good luck in your search

Somma
Is it Head Fibergel control or RIP Control. Unable to locate the first suggestion.
Old 2010-10-24, 06:40   #6
KendraB
Silver Hair

Hi RonSon,

There is a new nylon multifilament named Mantis Comfort Synthetic that received a glowing review in the September/October issue of Racquet Sports Industry magazine. They said it was one of the most comfortable strings they have reviewed to date.

It goes for about $9 per set and is available at Tennis Warehouse.

Your POG mid is a very soft racquet, so it should be okay for your elbow.

I wouldn't use poly or poly-type string if you have an arm problem. These strings transmit a lot of shock.

If you are going through NXT 17 in 6 hours you must be a string burner. NXT is durable for a multi. NXT 16 would last longer, but not a whole lot longer. How are you wearing the strings? If you are notching the mains while not wearing down the crosses too much, I would suggest Gamma TNT 15L in the mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic in the crosses.
KendraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-25, 15:01   #7
RonSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraB View Post
Hi RonSon,

There is a new nylon multifilament named Mantis Comfort Synthetic that received a glowing review in the September/October issue of Racquet Sports Industry magazine. They said it was one of the most comfortable strings they have reviewed to date.

It goes for about $9 per set and is available at Tennis Warehouse.

Your POG mid is a very soft racquet, so it should be okay for your elbow.

I wouldn't use poly or poly-type string if you have an arm problem. These strings transmit a lot of shock.

If you are going through NXT 17 in 6 hours you must be a string burner. NXT is durable for a multi. NXT 16 would last longer, but not a whole lot longer. How are you wearing the strings? If you are notching the mains while not wearing down the crosses too much, I would suggest Gamma TNT 15L in the mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic in the crosses.
I am trying Prince Syn Gut Multi first and then Isospeed Energetic second, but I read the reviews on the mantis and if neither of the first two last the mantis is next. Somewhere in all of this I am now leaning toward the hybrid combo. All it will take is one string pop after a few hours.
Old 2010-11-15, 20:04   #8
RonSon

Kendra,
I broke the PSG multi's the other day after about 7 or maybe 8 hours. The mains popped and thats where the majority of the notching is taking place. I still have the Isospeed Energetic in my other racket. The good news is my elbow feels pretty good. I have since ordered Head RIP Control, Mantis CS and Tourna Quasi Gut. I haven't tried any of them yet. Still not sure about the hybrid route or the full bed alone.
Old 2010-11-16, 09:47   #9
KendraB
Silver Hair

RonSon,

It sounds like you might have to use a hybrid to get decent string life. A cheap string that is durable and fairly comfortable is Prince syn gut with duraflex 15L. If you put this thick, durable string in the mains and a soft multi like Mantis in the crosses you should get decent string life and it will play well enough and it will be arm friendly. Prince syn gut with duraflex only costs $4 per set. If you want a string that plays better but costs more try Gamma TNT 15L in the mains.
KendraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 15:08   #10
RonSon

KendraB,
Would you suggest immediately going the hybrid route or trying those three strings i mentioned individually for softness, playability and durability before using one as a hybrid. Its just a coincidence, but i bought a set of PSGD by mistake abut a month ago. I will have to check the gauge though, i think it is 16. Do you think that matters all that much in terms of elbow issues. To date by far the most comfortable string i have tried is 16 gauge alpha gut 2000. Unfortunately, it lasted about three hours.