Tennis Links
Contact
About / Disclaimer
  Deutsche Version
  Nederlandse versie

Holabird Sports
Old 2008-06-20, 01:57   #1
w99

Default What is and how do you use a cross stringing tool?

Hey all

I came accross this tool on the stringway website - http://www.stringway-nl.com

I have a vague idea of what it can do but not sure if its any good
http://www.stringway-nl.com/en/acc/more/cross.htm

but certainly sounds quite interesting. I'm hoping it can be used to 'comb' or straighten the strings after stringing too.

Anyone advise from ppl who have used it before would be fantastic?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by w99; 2008-06-20 at 02:03.
w99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 02:14   #2
squashguy

it looks like the combs lift alternate strings so you can pass the cross through with little friction, i guess there's a way to flip it to go back the other way.

I find weaving one ahead is fine, and i bet using this tool would take longer to string crosses than just perfecting your technique.
squashguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 00:47   #3
LoneStarStringing
USRSA MRT

They had one at the GSS Symposium in Orlando. Very smart device. You simply clamp it into the stringbed, slide your string through the device and it pre-weaves the cross strings. I think this would be a good investment for someone who has trouble weaving or for someone who gets blisters or tender fingertips after several racquets. I would even say that it is probably faster than MOST stringers. Some of the tour level stringers at the symposium would blow right through it, though...my opinion.
LoneStarStringing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-22, 01:25   #4
30Deuce

A cross stringing tool is an accessory which makes it easier to weave the crosses after the main strings have been strung. It works by creating a vertical gap between alternate mains to allow easier passage of the cross string. As stated by LoneStarStringing, such tools are particularly useful for those who have difficulty or are slow weaving the crosses and for frequent stringers who are tired of getting blisters and sore fingers. The rise in popularity of stiff polyester and textured strings has made weaving the crosses more difficult, so I believe cross stringing tools will become more commonly used.

There are two cross stringing tools on the market now, the Stringway MK2 cited by W99, and the recently introduced StringWeaver (www.StringWeavers.com). I've tried both and found them to be durable quality tools, each with its advantages and disadvantages.
The MK2 has been around for many years but appears not to have been widely adopted. Its main advantage is that after the device has been assembled on the mains, you can push the cross string into a tunnel on one side and it will come out the other side neatly woven. A disadvantage is that after weaving each cross you must disengage the top half of the MK2, shift it over, and reengage it before doing the next cross. Strings with a lot of coil memory tend to get stuck in the tunnel. Also, since you are no longer weaving the strings yourself, the MK2 does nothing to help you improve your technique. This is a disadvantage since you will encounter racquets for which the cross stringing tools will not fit. The MK2 is a bit thick, so it becomes difficult to use on the last few crosses. You will either have to remove it and turn it around or remove it and string the last crosses without the tool.

The StringWeaver is thinner than the MK2 and costs half as much. It comes fully assembled and mounts on the main strings in a few seconds. Once the mains are engaged you do not have to remove the device until all the crosses have been strung. After doing each cross you only have to flip a lever to be ready to weave the next cross. You still have to weave the strings, but it is much easier than without a tool. For both devices there is far less damage to the outer surface of the string because friction between the mains and crosses is greatly reduced when pulling the crosses.

I think you should give cross stringing tools a try. They'll save your strings, your fingers, and for most people they'll save time.
30Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-09-26, 10:55   #5
PetervW

I sometimes use the Stringway Crossstringer when stringing stiff poly; For me, it has 2 benefits:
1. it's easier on the hands / fingers
2. pulling the crosses through is without much friction from the mains when the crossstringer is in place; this means less wear on de mains during stringing.

Having written this; I still want to practice en stay skilled in weaving myself, and also there is no real time benefit in using the crossstringer.
PetervW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-11, 05:21   #6
30Deuce

If you wish to stay in practice with your cross weaving skills but still save your fingers and your strings, then you might want to try the StringWeaver tool. Also, since you don't have to unlatch and shift the StringWeaver after each cross like you do with the MK2, it may save you time.
30Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-28, 03:56   #7
ball boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Deuce View Post
If you wish to stay in practice with your cross weaving skills but still save your fingers and your strings, then you might want to try the StringWeaver tool. Also, since you don't have to unlatch and shift the StringWeaver after each cross like you do with the MK2, it may save you time.

Didnĺt like it and returned the weaver. I made quite a few mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ball boy is offline   Reply With Quote